BajaNomad

Whales in January: what you're likely to see

Whale-ista - 12-30-2016 at 10:59 AM

If you are considering a trip to the lagoons to see whales in the coming weeks, here are some images from trips taken with Shari in mid-January 2015 at Ojo de Liebre, near Guerrero Negro.

This early in the year, you'll mostly see very young calves. They usually stay close to their moms, nursing, resting on their backs, and swimming at a leisurely pace around the lagoon to prepare them for the northern migration... with occasional exceptions.

One day we were amazed by the number of spy hops taking place. At one point a calf joined in, and actually leapt out of the water and hit the mom as she hopped before flopping back into the water. Another mom had a very different approach to swimming with her calf (see below).

Unlike the previous whales, we called this mom "motorboat"- she was training her calf to swim at a very high rate of speed, compared to the rates of other mom/calf pairs around them. They were doing laps around the others- and the calf was keeping up.

Thanks to Shari and others who snapped and shared many of these pics! Wonderful memories...

BajaGeoff - 12-30-2016 at 11:33 AM

Great photos! I haven't been to see the whales in a few years....time to get back down there!

shari - 12-30-2016 at 12:11 PM

That was an amazing trip all right...I LOVE January trips for seeing those newborns that look like giant pickles and ogling those babies on the mom's backs.

I am sooooo excited for our first trip out on Jan.4th...I still want to be the first to ever video a live birth!!! This year we are doing full day trips so will have a much better chance to do that!

I look forward to being in the company of whales with you soon amiga! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

(Just a FYI to those of you who want to join me for some whale magic ...many trips are already full and the prime weeks are filling fast so contact me with some dates you want to come)