BajaNomad

Need specifics for all the super secret surf

tmtuttle - 9-15-2017 at 08:44 AM

I'm a total kook but I embrace my kookness.

Anyhow, I spent a month last winter in El Pescadero and got in 23 days and was happy with my progression. I'm planning on driving down solo in November and staying through January. Any help on spots along the way south would be appreciated. Not looking for the super secret surf but just a comfortable beach break where I might find good camping and other surfers.

I saw the Baja surf guide book on Amazon. Any good?

Any other advice? I've driven all over mainland Mexico and southern Baja but not much in northern Baja. The advice I've received so far is cross the border early and get as far south as possible on the first day.

Thanks,

Tim

P.S. No snarky comments on how the "Baja is closed", "there is no surf" or "beheadings". I put up with all you out-of-staters clogging up my trails and campgrounds here in Idaho. You can put up with one more surfer. Give it up! :P

SFandH - 9-15-2017 at 09:03 AM

This could be the shortest thread in history. ;)

Terry28 - 9-15-2017 at 09:11 AM

There is no surf in Idaho.....

Howard - 9-15-2017 at 09:17 AM

Sounds like reasonable questions to me.

Hopefully some people can help him out.

woody with a view - 9-15-2017 at 09:20 AM

David K will be along shortly. He knows everything!

del mar - 9-15-2017 at 09:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Terry28  

not yet anyway....im sure you've seen slater's wave pool! :yes:

tmtuttle - 9-15-2017 at 10:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Terry28  

Au contraire mon frère.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtTlFvGaSik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1CTyS2fC9E

David K - 9-15-2017 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
David K will be along shortly. He knows everything!

Oh if that were only true... :lol:

To tmtuttle:

1) I am not a surfer, but I love beaches and swim and body surf.
2) I have NEVER listed a 'secret' or any kind of surf location as a 'surf location'. Only beaches and camps I come across.
3) I love backcountry driving and am making a series of road logs this year to give a hint of what's down many of the roads off the highway, in Baja.
4) No guide can ever tell all that is in Baja, it is just so great a place and it changes, as well.

To share in advance of the guide's publication some of my travel notes, go to the Baja Nomad Trip Reports Forum http://forums.bajanomad.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=50
and see the trip reports titled TRIP #1 to TRIP #6 (so far).

The region of Baja that I call The Remote Pacific is better known as The Seven Sisters and if that is of interest to you, those roads were in TRIP #4 (April 2017): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86376

My trip to Pta. Abreojos, Bahía Asunción, Pta. Eugenia is TRIP #5.
My drive to Punta Conejo and Punta Marquez (near La Paz) is in TRIP #6.

As always, I am happy to share my Baja travels with others so that they can plan a most excellent adventure.

woody with a view - 9-15-2017 at 10:27 AM

Like I was saying.....

Lee - 9-15-2017 at 10:29 AM

Pedrito is great and locals are friendly as you've probably found out. Pastora is 1/2 hour N. of Todos (on the Otra Lado) and is considered the big wave break for the area. (I wear a helmet there now after my head bounced off the cobble bottom.)

Conejo is an hour North -- may/may not be breaking but fun waves.

South is Cerritos with a sometimes narly beach break -- the point has a take off next to the rocks and local short boarders have this wave nailed.

Cape is Summer breaks.

All this stuff online.

Have fun. Keep surfing.

willardguy - 9-15-2017 at 10:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Like I was saying.....

:lol:

ehall - 9-15-2017 at 10:57 AM

Not really a secret when most maps have the little surfer symbol along the coast.

DENNIS - 9-15-2017 at 12:15 PM

Don't drive at night....unless you're steenky drunk. Then...you'll be like everybody else on the road.

tiotomasbcs - 9-15-2017 at 01:03 PM

The Sea of Cortez has some Epic waves..Mulege, Loreto area. The selling out of Surfing on the Net??! I hate it when Woody is right; DK can't help himself. Tim Tuttle, from Seattle ...search John Candy in Volunteers? That's funny! :coolup: Tio

Udo - 9-15-2017 at 01:42 PM

The only not too secrety surf spot I know is the one just north of Santa Rosaliita. By "THE WALL"

I have driven by a few dozen in my dirt road travels along the Pacific coast, and wondered why there were no surfers there. I kinda wish I would have brought a board. But the purpose of my trips were exploratory, a lot like DK's trips.

StuckSucks - 9-15-2017 at 01:44 PM

One if my favorite photos from a secure, undisclosed surf spot. Bay after bay, and point after point, sans humans, just like this. Choose your poison.

David K - 9-15-2017 at 02:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
The only not too secrety surf spot I know is the one just north of Santa Rosaliita. By "THE WALL"

I have driven by a few dozen in my dirt road travels along the Pacific coast, and wondered why there were no surfers there. I kinda wish I would have brought a board. But the purpose of my trips were exploratory, a lot like DK's trips.

North? Good one Udo!! ;):cool:

tmtuttle - 9-15-2017 at 03:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
Tim Tuttle, from Seattle ...search John Candy in Volunteers? That's funny! :coolup: Tio

It's actually, Tom Tuttle from Tacoma but whatevs....

DENNIS - 9-15-2017 at 03:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
/rquote]

North? Good one Udo!! ;):cool:

Ha ha ha. Keep'm honest DK

SFandH - 9-15-2017 at 03:43 PM

Big Baja surf. If only I could turn the clock back 3 or 4 decades........

xyz.jpg - 28kB

[Edited on 9-15-2017 by SFandH]

willardguy - 9-15-2017 at 04:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Big Baja surf. If only I could turn the clock back 3 or 4 decades........

[Edited on 9-15-2017 by SFandH]

what the.......david nuuhiwa and gerry lopez on the same wave? :lol:

bajabuddha - 9-15-2017 at 04:34 PM

Not being a 'surfer-dude' I've always been intrigued by the beautiful symmetrical waves viewed from TP 1 on the stretch below San Quintin where for the last few miles before the Hwy turns inland and over the hill to El Rosario... never seen any campers or surfers in that area, although there are a few developments going up. Whazzup wit' that? Bad ju-ju?

BooJumMan - 9-15-2017 at 08:24 PM

I personally won't give up any info, but you can respect that. Long past are the days where you could roll up and camp for weeks without seeing another truck drive by, unfortunately.

Really, the best surfing in Baja is in the northernmost 50 miles and southernmost 50 miles of the peninsula.

[Edited on 9-16-2017 by BooJumMan]

woody with a view - 9-16-2017 at 06:48 AM

Buddha, that place just aint that good. Socorro has better surf.

pappy - 9-17-2017 at 07:31 AM

Decades ago that stretch was sometimes a weekend destination point. Definitely nice shaped peaks.nobody around though a little too close to road for my liking.a few shacks popped up and the stealing began.last time for us was when we ran off a guy that had crawled into tent in middle of night. We loaded up and ended up in old mill parking lot at 2 in the morning.