BajaNomad

Baja Prehistory - Zoom Lecture 2/17/22 6:30 pm

wilderone - 2-17-2022 at 02:42 AM

This is offered by San Diego Archaeology (donation requested) presented by Don Laylander - sounds interesting.

https://sandiegoarchaeology.org/baja-california/

Signed up

John M - 2-17-2022 at 07:03 AM

Hopefully I won't forget!

John M

wilderone - 2-18-2022 at 10:33 AM

Watched this "seminar". Very informative, but kind of bland presentation. Lots of information that would bear a seminar on certain aspects. Said there is solid evidence and carbon dating to establish occupancy as far as 13,000 yrs. ago - there is some bone DNA. Also, lots of evidence of occupancy on the islands, and said the islands were connected to the peninsula at that time. Some discussion about influences that impacted cultural development -- was it "borrowed" or changed within - said geographic location with relative isolation and harsh climate had a lot to do with development of skills. A lot of ideas presented, and he also said collaborates with Eric (?) Ritter and research ongoing.

David K - 2-18-2022 at 02:38 PM

Thank Cindi for listening and reporting.

Compared to him and the other PhDs named below, I am just a hobby historian!

I have had a email exchange with Don a while ago... I think he and Eric Ritter, as well as Lee Panich, all work on similar projects having to do with Baja's archeology. Eric is super to chat with and he quotes me in his Gonzaga Bay warehouse paper. Lee and I have met when we were both mission presenters at the California Missions conference in Ventura a couple years ago. His photo of the dig at Santa Catalina mission is in my book, too.

Here is Don's Baja Archeology web page:
https://www.sandiegoarchaeology.org/Laylander/Baja/index1.ht...

wilderone - 2-18-2022 at 04:49 PM

Ys, he mentioned those he collaborates with and others who have contributed to Baja archaeology, including INAH staff. Good that you got to meet him. He said he had several papers and showed a little booklet. Nice to know new knowledge is coming to light as efforts continue.

Seminar

John M - 2-18-2022 at 08:22 PM

Gosh he seems so well-informed, and knowledgeable.

Too bad that he read his presentation. I suppose the reason more than a few experts do read their talk is that they do not wish to miss-state facts or say something they don't intend.

Some interesting points made.

John