BajaNomad

Is it possible to enter Baja without a passport?

John M - 2-9-2023 at 09:16 AM

How big of a hassle is it? A couple of folks on an upcoming trip haven't gotten their passport yet . Taking way longer that they thought.

Does it really depend on the person at the desk when they are getting their FMM?

Personal experience preferred, not second hand info please.

John M

dusty.rambler - 2-9-2023 at 10:24 AM

You could enter Baja without a passport easily and not get a FMM..... Getting out of the country would be a challenge though... I would not recommend.

mtgoat666 - 2-9-2023 at 10:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
How big of a hassle is it? A couple of folks on an upcoming trip haven't gotten their passport yet . Taking way longer that they thought.

Does it really depend on the person at the desk when they are getting their FMM?

Personal experience preferred, not second hand info please.

John M

You can't get an FMM w/o a passport. Many gringos enter Mexico w/o getting an FMM...

USA citizens can enter USA w/o a USA passport. May take a bit more time at the border inspection...

You cant fly across border w/o a valid passport.

A family member recently need a passport renewal that was taking way too long via normal renewal process. She made an appointment for expedited (24 hr) passport, and PP agency found her file and shipped it to expedite office,.... after many phone calls. You can only book expedited appt 14 days in advance of travel.

bajaric - 2-9-2023 at 11:41 AM

It is entirely possible. In many trips south of the border I have only been asked to show a passport once, at the border, and have never been asked to show my FMM. The Mexican government does not seem to be overly concerned with enforcement of their immigration rules for tourists who are traveling in a US-plated private vehicle. They want to encourage tourism. The people that are most concerned are obsessive-compulsive gringos who for some reason would like for Mexico to be just like the United States, with an hours-long wait to cross the border to check documents.

Crossing north, a valid driver's license will get a US citizen across, though it might result a trip to secondary. A driver's license and a birth certificate is probably enough to get waved through.

TMW - 2-9-2023 at 12:25 PM

A couple of years ago I left my bag beside the hwy after adjusting the back of my truck. It had my passport in it. When I went back for it the bag was gone. I crossed the border at Tecate and told the border agent what happened and he said no problem my drivers license was good. I crossed the border a couple of times before I got my passport back and I had no problems.

Thanks for the info

John M - 2-9-2023 at 01:17 PM

Hi TW!

I appreciate the various viewpoints.

JM

4x4abc - 2-9-2023 at 03:14 PM

about "nobody ever asked for the FFM" - ask any tourist in the US (or other countries), they are never asked for their tourist visa while in the country. However, if you run into one of the secondary secondaries along the US border, tourist have to show their I94 or similar.
Same in Mexico - on rare occasions roadblocks in high traffic tourist areas fish out people without proper papers.
Automatic 2 week jail followed by deportation (some heartbreaking youtube videos about that).
Again, checks rarely happen - but do you really wanna be the next one recording a video in a Mexican jail?

4x4abc - 2-9-2023 at 05:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
What is an I94?

it is the US equivalent to the FFM
multiple entries etc
tourist visa

I94 mex.jpeg - 9kB

4x4abc - 2-9-2023 at 05:51 PM

like the FFM, it is no longer needed by US visitors to fill out the paper form
all online now and a stamp in the passport
about $20 bucks last time I got one
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/i-94

BigWooo - 2-10-2023 at 05:29 AM

It is possible to travel without a passport or tourist visa. You "probably" won't be asked to show it. However in the last 3 or 4 years I have been asked to show my immigration status a couple times at checkpoints. I live here and travel around so that's pretty good odds. Here's the problem though. If you get into an accident, or have health issues and need to evacuate back to the U.S., or Canada for life saving health care, this where you will run into problems. Without the proper documents you will be at minimum greatly delayed, or worse denied transportation. That could make the difference between life and death. But then again.....without it your'e gambling that nothing will happen. Just hope nothing happens.

mtgoat666 - 2-10-2023 at 07:30 AM

Just get a passport. It’s easy.
If you are a bad planner and need PP urgently, there is a way to get it fast.

pacificobob - 2-10-2023 at 07:41 AM

Super expedited passport service is available through various providers. My former employer used a service with a 7 day turnaround when it was our passport was about to expire.
I once got it renewed in an hour at the american consulate in hong kong.

tomieharder - 2-10-2023 at 02:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
What is an I94?

it is the US equivalent to the FFM
multiple entries etc
tourist visa

Your knowledge is a little dated. The US no longer issues paper I-94s. It's all digital now. Cost is $6 for 6 months.

surabi - 2-10-2023 at 03:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tomieharder  

Your knowledge is a little dated. The US no longer issues paper I-94s. It's all digital now. Cost is $6 for 6 months.

I know it's a challenge for you, but try reading before telling someone their info is outdated , tomie. 4x4 already said it was all digital now yesterday.

[Edited on 2-10-2023 by surabi]

mtgoat666 - 3-2-2023 at 07:37 AM

Quote:
xxxxxxxxxx

You can’t enter baja by air or using CBX without a passport.
If you ride a bus across border, often you have to get off and go thru customs, and you’ll need a passport. If you want to enter baja legally at a land border, you will need a passport to stop and obtain a FMM. If you are arriving in baja by boat, you best clear customs, and you’ll need a passport for that. If you are on a cruise ship and want to enter Mexico, you need a passport.

Lot’s of illegal gringos in Mexico, they enter Mexico illegally by vehicle, just blast past the immigration stop without a thought to obtaining their fmm. Many of these same gringos get irate when Mexicans enter usa illegally. These people are quite illogical.

[Edited on 3-2-2023 by BajaNomad]

AKgringo - 3-2-2023 at 11:54 AM

wonder how many user names JJJ has burned through before getting banned again?

thebajarunner - 3-3-2023 at 08:23 AM

Get a passport card, always, along with your regular passport.
Keep it in your wallet, you always have it with you

Not good for air visits to Mexico but same as passport for land travel.
When I renew my FMM I always just toss the card on the counter, not the passport.

David K - 3-3-2023 at 09:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Get a passport card, always, along with your regular passport.
Keep it in your wallet, you always have it with you

Not good for air visits to Mexico but same as passport for land travel.
When I renew my FMM I always just toss the card on the counter, not the passport.

I have used both. The cool part for using the regular passport is that it gets stamped. Oddly, each time for Mexico, the ink is so lacking it is difficult to impossible to read the stamp.

RFClark - 3-3-2023 at 09:36 AM

There’s been a lot of talk about changes in how the FMMs are issued at the border crossings into Baja CA. We just came south and stopped at the Mexicali office. Nothing has changed. You still get a paper visa good for 180 days for 700 Pesos.

On the subject of visa checks while in Mexico. We have been asked by the national guard twice in the last year for our visas. Both times in BCS north of San Ignacio.

surabi - 3-3-2023 at 12:34 PM

An FMM is not synonymous with "tourist permit". It's just that the bottom half of the form serves as a tourist permit. It's a form used to track entries and exits of all foreigners, regardless of whether they are tourists or residents.

Referring to an FMM as a tourist permit is like calling ground beef a hamburger, when using it to make a hamburger is only one of its uses.

Up until recently, residents also had to fill out those forms. They are being phased out, and in many places they aren't used at all anymore- INM just stamps passports, including for tourists.

[Edited on 3-3-2023 by surabi]

[Edited on 3-3-2023 by surabi]

ftrphb - 1-22-2024 at 05:45 PM

He did say his method of travel. Makes a difference. A big difference. You need a passport traveling north. Best to say how you are traveling.

From experience...

John M - 1-23-2024 at 08:40 AM

Going into Baja earlier this year two young guys were with us, entering at Tecate at first on foot to get paperwork squared away a day ahead of time. Neither had a passport.

When they went into the Tecate immigration office, going south, the agent would not give them an FMM without a passport. So, they walked back across the border through the US Customs and Border Protection and they had absolutely no problem with only a driver's license.

Returning again to the U.S. ten days later at Calexico east, same thing, the US CBP officer had no issue with them not having a passport.

Your experience may vary.

John M

David K - 1-23-2024 at 09:54 AM

This has always been the case: passing through is at the discretion of the officer. Having a passport just simplifies proving citizenship.
Southbound is different, Mexico must see a passport to issue an FMM.
The question of entering Mexico requiring one is a bit of an oddity because cars can drive right in and even if a red light or officer sends you to secondary, it is not to check passports. Plus, FMMs are not required for short trips in the border region.
So, you can enter Mexico without a passport but not for more than three days or past the border zone, legally.

PaulW - 1-23-2024 at 02:50 PM

Crossing south using Mexicali West or Algodones I have been stopped ever time and ask for papers Perm Res or FMM

Different story at Mexicali East unless I am trailering the Jeep or flat towing the Jeep I have never been asked for papers.

When towing it has been slower lately with more proof than previously.

David K - 1-23-2024 at 03:44 PM

Asked by who? Don't you ever get a green light and just keep driving (like most)?

pacificobob - 1-23-2024 at 04:50 PM

When renewing a PP and expedited service desired, be sure to fill in the box regarding your date of upcoming travel. If left blank, the extra fee for expedited service won't get it to you sooner.
When flying internationally for work at a major express carrier, we had 3 day turn around including shipping. I once got a renewal in under 2 hours at a US embassy in china.

PaulW - 1-23-2024 at 06:01 PM

Asked by who? Don't you ever get a green light and just keep driving (like most)?

== =
When towing (flat tow or trailer)
- Enter in Right NON DECLARE line and get a green light - They always demand you stop for examination of papers. They wave you into the right side cone area and ask for registration and do a cursory inspection. Sometimes migration, but always customs.

Not towing
- Drive in Right or Left NON DECLARE line and get a green light and drive on south. Stop for customs as directed for inspection and maybe direction to go to customs to pay a duty. It happens but not very much if the traffic is heavy.
I see this a lot of folks stopped for customs inspection but mostly Mexican plates not gringos.

FMM Needed?
- Drive in Right NON DECLARE line and get a green light. Stop and block traffic and explain and ask for directions. Usually they will have you pull forward and pull the right and park so you can walk to the FMM place as directed.

Importing appliances, etc. in your truck or on your trailer
- Enter in DECLARE line and get a green light. Stop at the cones and go to the FMM office. Get inspected and pay the duty and head south.