BajaNomad

Lend me your ears!

pauldavidmena - 8-26-2023 at 06:32 AM

Today's Spanish word of the day from Transparent Language is prestado, which was translated "borrowed." Fair enough, but the same word in WordReference.com is translated as both "borrowed" and "lent." Is one usage more common than the other? Does it depend upon context? Is it confusing to anyone else?

AKgringo - 8-26-2023 at 07:47 AM

You don't want my ears, the tinnitus would drive you nuts! Not Spanish, but I once worked with a Cajun from Louisiana that would use borrow instead of loan, as in "borrow me your wrench".

pauldavidmena - 8-26-2023 at 08:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
You don't want my ears, the tinnitus would drive you nuts! Not Spanish, but I once worked with a Cajun from Louisiana that would use borrow instead of loan, as in "borrow me your wrench".

Listening to too much good and mostly bad music in the 70s and 80s have left me with a persistent whine that rivals that of most adolescents.

lencho - 8-26-2023 at 09:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
Is it confusing to anyone else?
Not to me; it just is what it is. ;)

A lent item is by nature a borrowed item; as in many cases with language, context will clarify who did what to whom.

Edit: But the associated verb use is probably clearer: prestar vs pedir prestado.

Saludos--

[Edited on 8-26-2023 by lencho]

surabi - 8-26-2023 at 08:55 PM

As far as I'm aware, the same word is used for borrow and lend in Spanish. If you were translating, instead of an English speaker saying "Can I borrow your pen?", in Spanish, they would be saying "Can you lend me your pen?" I remember trying to explain to my Spanish neighbor (she is actually from Spain, not Mexico) that there are two different words in English, one that means you are accepting something of someone else's that that they "lent" you, and that you "borrowed" it. One is the action of offering the use of, one the action of accepting the use of, but in Spanish they don't make that distinction.

Feel free to correct me if I have that wrong.

[Edited on 8-27-2023 by surabi]