BajaNomad

Salispuedes campground open?

cwsMTK - 2-16-2024 at 02:30 PM

anyone know if the campground is open? heard it was recently closed for repairs after the rains?

AKgringo - 2-16-2024 at 03:38 PM

I hope the campers were able to leave! Sorry...I couldn't help myself, and I know nothing about the campground.

cwsMTK - 2-16-2024 at 04:33 PM

:lol:

David K - 2-16-2024 at 04:51 PM

Great name for a business, lol, "get out if you can"!

That name may have first been made famous by Perry Meson creator, Erle Stanley Gardner in his 1961 adventure book, Hovering Over Baja. Sal Si Puede is a canyon full of palms, north of the road to Bahía de los Angeles. To Gardner, it meant get IN if you can!
When his land and sea based attempts, with specialized trail motor bikes, failed... He convinced a helicopter company that Baja would be a great place to test their copters!

BooJumMan - 2-16-2024 at 07:14 PM

I camped there a lot growing up but thought they had permanently closed 5-10 years ago. I think I had someone told me they had camped there recently but I didn't believe them.

Ateo - 2-16-2024 at 10:26 PM

Last I heard you can camp there again. I drove in about two years ago and you could camp or rent a little cabana thingy. Do t know after these rains lately but I bet it’s fine.

sandpoint - 2-21-2024 at 12:57 PM

I camped there in April, 2021. The steep section up top at the locked gate/guard post is paved. Campground was clean and redone then. If it was only rain that closed it, it's likely open again. If you're driving by, it's only a quick stop to find out.

BajaNaranja - 2-22-2024 at 09:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by cwsMTK  
anyone know if the campground is open? heard it was recently closed for repairs after the rains?

Somebody I know tried to surf there last weekend, he was told it was sold due to change in ownership, so no access currently.

Not sure if that will change, or if new owner has a different idea for the place.

cwsMTK - 2-22-2024 at 11:01 AM

friend of mine gave it a shot last Saturday, gate guy said they were closed for repairs for 3 months so who knows.

You'd think the 15 bucks a head they were charging is tempting enough to open back up.

elgatoloco - 2-22-2024 at 05:03 PM

My father camped and fished there with his father in the early 40's. In the late 40's (balsa boards) and early 50's (foam) my father and his buddies went surfing there a few times. One time the surf was so good they did not leave soon enough when the rain came and spent a few extra days. He said when they finally made it out he found mud in and on his panel truck for a long time.

In the early 2000's the whole place was for sale and they claimed to have the plans and permits for two 18 hole golf courses. 2008 and the bubble burst and here we are now.

Santiago - 2-23-2024 at 06:13 AM

Is this the same as Playa Saldamando?

sandpoint - 2-23-2024 at 12:09 PM

It is not. Playa Salamando is another exit South.