BajaNomad

Is the 2D open east bound?

freediverbrian - 4-29-2024 at 05:59 PM

Going south next week and was wondering if the east bound toll road is open? I went down last month and you were put on the free road and it was very slow with the trucks on the grades.

Trying to decide if Mexicali is a better choice? I don't like the traffic and the police in Mexicali. BUT?

David K - 4-29-2024 at 06:09 PM

Maybe ask in the Q & A or Road Conditions forum... This is the History and Literature forum.

freediverbrian - 4-29-2024 at 07:39 PM

How? What? Didn't even there was a history and what and what forum.

PaulW - 4-30-2024 at 07:30 AM

I think he meant face book. Plenty if discussions on road conditions If you don't fin the answer just ask the question there.

David K - 4-30-2024 at 07:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
I think he meant face book. Plenty if discussions on road conditions If you don't fin the answer just ask the question there.

No, I meant Baja Nomad... there are several forums here, based on the subject. As you can see above, Doug (BajaNomad) moved this to the Q&A forum.

Many of us click on Today's Posts to see the newest activity on all Nomad forums (except Off Topic). When you want to start a new subject thread, you need to pick a forum that best suits the subject: General Baja Discussion, Q&A, Road Conditoins, Trip Reports, Fishing & Hunting, Historic Interests, etc.

cupcake - 4-30-2024 at 12:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
Going south next week and was wondering if the east bound toll road is open? I went down last month and you were put on the free road and it was very slow with the trucks on the grades.

Trying to decide if Mexicali is a better choice? I don't like the traffic and the police in Mexicali. BUT?

Possibly not the section you are concerned about, but I will post this just in case...I made a day trip from TJ to Tecate on the 24th of April. Took a cuota bus outbound and a libre bus on the return. Very bad traffic bottleneck on both the toll and the free routes. I did an exit-return at the Tecate INM for FMM reasons. Very mellow crossing in both directions on that weekday, just a trickle of foot traffic.

[Edited on 4-30-2024 by cupcake]

Maderita - 4-30-2024 at 12:58 PM

Yes, the 2D is open in both directions. It was closed for one month for repairs to the toll booth. On April 19th, traffic continued eastbound at El Hongo. I turned off at El Hongo to pick up a load of alfalfa hay. I returned westbound with no delay on the 2D. They were not collecting tolls at that time.

A truck with a huge load of pipes lost its brakes last year, crashing and demolishing the booths and supports for the roof over all the lanes.

David K - 4-30-2024 at 01:22 PM

Thanks Maderita!