Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Three Missing Surfers Found Dead
SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-3-2024 at 10:47 AM
It's such a sad thing.....

Google translation:

"Apparently, the lifeless bodies of the three missing tourists at the bottom of a cliff located in the Bocana area in Santo Tomas were located.

Authorities are heading to the scene to extract the bodies, more information pending."

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=952450346880898&set...

[Edited on 5-3-2024 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2024 at 05:25 PM
Three Missing Surfers Found Dead

From a post on CBS 8 San Diego:

Like I’ve always said there’s those who understand the reality of what Mexico is and then there’s those who CHOOSE to be in denial. It’s usually the expats who will give you the most grief when you say anything that’s not flattering about Mexico until it happens to them or someone they know. Though I was born and raised here I have plenty of family still in Mexico and they themselves will not hesitate to tell you how bad and unsafe the country has become. There has always been some element of danger but it’s completely out of control these days and when you have a lot of police officers who are on the cartels payrolls it’s open season on just about anyone from Mexican nationals to foreigners.
cupcake

[*] posted on 5-3-2024 at 05:46 PM

I come to Mexico only with what I know I will not be tempted to fight for, only with what I know I can comfortably loose.

I know that 999 out of 1,000 Mexicans I meet will be good people. If I come across the bad one, I will calmly let them have everything I carry. Then, the other 999 good ones will help me arrange for my return home.

There are truly crazy peple who just like to hurt people, but I think the vast majority of crime is motivated by money, wealth, material possesions.

[Edited on 5-4-2024 by cupcake]
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2024 at 05:48 PM

Anyone clear on where they were camping? Half the sources say La Bocana "area" so I am assuming they are referring to PSJ? Apparently these guys tried to find PSJ prior but ended up at La Bocana last year or something, so I am wondering if they took the wrong road, again?

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-3-2024 at 05:59 PM

Unfortunately, camping in remote Baja areas is no longer safe. You must be indoors or in a secure RV park or camping area with others nearby at night.

[Edited on 5-4-2024 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
stillnbaja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2024 at 06:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  
Anyone clear on where they were camping? Half the sources say La Bocana "area" so I am assuming they are referring to PSJ? Apparently these guys tried to find PSJ prior but ended up at La Bocana last year or something, so I am wondering if they took the wrong road, again?

there's a couple photo's of the area they were camped but no landmarks visible, there is a photo of the boys kickin' it at san mike here just before they disappeared....https://www.shackedmag.com/2024/05/3-missing-surfers-found-dead-in-mexico.html

that area has had bad ju-ju for decades, how would a couple aussies know that? :no:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-3-2024 at 06:28 PM

No specific info seen about where they camped. According to patrula 646 the bodies were found near the lighthouse (punta san jose)

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2024 at 06:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sanquintinsince73  

Like I’ve always said there’s those who understand the reality of what Mexico is and then there’s those who CHOOSE to be in denial.

Amd then there's those who choose to bury the facts because they profit from tourism and ex-pats.

There is a website in my town run by some people who sell real estate and have several huge short term rental tourist houses of their own. There are several sections of that website- rental and real estate listings, local business listings, local news, and they used to have a local community forum, which they did away with some years ago.

You can walk along the beach in my town to the beach in the next town, but there is a section where you have to hike up a small hill to the other side. At one point, peopke were getting mugged up there, at knife and gunpoint. There were several incidents.

In answer to some potential tourist asking on that forum about how safe this town was, as well as walking on the beach from our town to the next, I posted a response saying it was quite safe, as long as you didn't do things you wouldn't do at home, like walk down a dark alley at 2am. I also spoke about what had been happening on that hill and suggested people avoid it.

The site administrators censored everything out of my post except saying the town was quite safe.
I was furious and told them never again to censor my posts to make it sound like I wrote the opposite of what I did. Just remove my post entirely, rather than misrepresent it.

Obviously those site owners had zero concern about people being warned about anything that could help keep them safe. They'd prefer to put out only positive, "this a paradise where nothing bad ever happens" PR.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 5-3-2024 at 07:26 PM

most Baja sites and groups are run with business interest
post anything the owner does not like - your post is gone or you are gone
critical thinking is not welcome
complaints are immediately removed
only praising of paradise is good
hallelujah!

and when the group owner is a real estate shark and a "Christian" it get's really dicey

Harald Pietschmann
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2024 at 08:13 PM

I profit from tourism and an ex-pat population as well, as I have an Airbnb suite and an upholstery business. But it would never occur to me to conceal the truth about safety precautions in this area from my guests, as if they were children who had to be shielded from such concerns. But obviously money is way more important to a lot of people than having a conscience and caring about others.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2024 at 08:52 PM

The SD Union Tribune just posted an update with photo where apparently the bodies were found. Looks like it is the road that goes north from PSJ. blah.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/border-baja-califo...

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2024 at 09:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sanquintinsince73  

Like I’ve always said there’s those who understand the reality of what Mexico is and then there’s those who CHOOSE to be in denial. It’s usually the expats who will give you the most grief when you say anything that’s not flattering about Mexico until it happens to them or someone they know. Though I was born and raised here I have plenty of family still in Mexico and they themselves will not hesitate to tell you how bad and unsafe the country has become. There has always been some element of danger but it’s completely out of control these days and when you have a lot of police officers who are on the cartels payrolls it’s open season on just about anyone from Mexican nationals to foreigners.

I hope you didn't sprain your hamstring too badly when you were sprinting as fast as you could to post this to BN's.

Have you seen the crime explosion in the US? Even in my little burb outside LA there are weekly stories of violent crime on Nextdoor.

How often do these attacks on foreigners actually occur? They are incredibly tragic, but not common considering the millions that travel to Mexico every year. It is far, far from "open season on foreigners."

Put ice on the hammy and take a couple Advil.

[Edited on 5-4-2024 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
5-3-2024 at 09:30 PM
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 5-3-2024 at 09:37 PM

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1419876702253029

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2024 at 10:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by stillnbaja  

that area has had bad ju-ju for decades, how would a couple aussies know that? :no:

Well, we do live in the age of the internet. There are forums and websites galore. People who have never travelled to an area before ask questions all the time on forums like this. There's probably "Camping in Mexico" forums or Quora posts or whatever if you do some Googling. (There's even a website called "Sleeping in Airports" where people write in telling each other which airports all over the world you can sleep in without security waking you up and telling you to move along, where the best places in the airports are to catch some shuteye, where the most convenient bathrooms are to those areas, etc).

But of course, travelers have to make the effort to search out that stuff, and ask the questions, and it likely doesn't occur to a lot of people, especially a group of young, fit guys, whose main concern is where to catch the best waves, and who had probably been camping all over Australia and and other relatively non-dangerous areas since they were teenagers, to even think about it.

[Edited on 5-4-2024 by surabi]

AnimalLovers

[*] posted on 5-3-2024 at 10:45 PM

If they were using google maps, and google hadn't removed my review about getting robbed and shot at while camping there 5 years ago, things could have been different.

We posted about our experience here, on Facebook, iOverlander, and Google maps. I thought Google maps would reach the most people. It had 1000 views in the first 2 days. I don't know when or why it was removed. We didn't run to the press, but maybe we should have.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 5-3-2024 at 11:04 PM

there's a couple photo's of the area they were camped but no landmarks visible, there is a photo of the boys kickin' it at san mike here just before they disappeared....https://www.shackedmag.com/2024/05/3-missing-surfers-found-dead-in-mexico.html

https://www.instagram.com/callum10robinson
https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/179904220166376...

[Edited on 5-4-2024 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2024 at 12:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

How often do these attacks on foreigners actually occur? They are incredibly tragic, but not common considering the millions that travel to Mexico every year.

Of course, but there are certain areas which are known to be dangerous and while you might go there and not experience anything scary or bad, they are best avoided unless you are one of those people who likes to tempt fate.

And the majority of the millions who travel to Mexico every year are not camping in remote or sketchy areas. They are staying in touristy towns and cities, in all-inclusive resorts, hotels, and Airbnbs and trailer parks, or, if they are snowbirds who come for 6 months, renting a house in a heavily expat area.

20 years ago my daughter and her Mexican husband had one of those Mexican Guia paper road maps. There was a small red square on the map in Sinaloa, up in the mountains east of Culiacan, that said "Not suitable for travel". Heavy Sinaloa cartel territory.

And there's a town just south of Culiacan you drive through on the main highway called Gusave. Everytime I have driven through there, the hair sort of stands up on the back of my neck, even though I've never witnessed anything untoward there and I'm not a fearful or paranoid person and have done lots of solo driving in Mexico. But there's just some vibe in the air there that's sketchy, and I make sure I'm fueled up and fed so I can sail right past it.

I could name quite a few areas in Mexico it's best to stay clear of, like Celaya and Ciudad Victoria, and parts of Morelia and Chiapas. And I'm sure there's quite a few more I'm not aware of. Mexico is such a huge, beautiful country to explore, there's no need to go to areas that are known to be dangerous.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-4-2024 at 06:51 AM
An odd coincidence.....

I noticed in the link to Callum Robinsons Instagram account that he used the same statement that I do in my BajaNomad signature; "If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space".

I also prefer camping away from tourist areas. The area that they chose is not one that I would consider since it is right on the edge of large population centers with a known history of thug activity.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.