Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Whales in Ojo del Liebre
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2005 at 10:37 AM
Whales in Ojo del Liebre

Spent the night out at the Ejido de Benito Juarez campground and it was such a special time that I had to share.
There were whales everywhere you looked. We took one of the campsites(#13) away from the docks and set up camp. An afternoon shower came through and brought out the bobos. So bad that I wanted to cry but a wind came up before I had a chance to. So we sat and watched the sun set over the water which was dotted with spouts and tails. The next morning we woke up to the sound of the whales spouting, what a wonderful alarm clock! As we drank our coffee we could see many whales out doing their morning thing. They really stood our as they were outlined by the mountain behind them. About 11am the sun was at a perfect angle for all the tails and bodies to look like they were mirrored. Bright flashes everywhere.
Although we did not go out in a boat, it was one of the best whale experiences I have ever had(out of 7 trips)

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-7-2005 at 10:53 AM

Naturally, you took photos????????????

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BahaBob

[*] posted on 2-7-2005 at 03:47 PM
Campground Info

We are planning a trip the first week in March and were thinking about staying at the campground. What are the conditions like? Restrooms; showers, water, electricity, restaraunt, how many campsites? This is the campground at the end of the road just south of town that goes out to the whale watching trips?

Thanks;

BahaBob
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2005 at 11:05 PM
campground Info

we camped there last year too the whales were everywhere we camped in one of the campsites closer to the pier but not too close. We are heading down Mar.10th we will camp in the same spot most likely for just one night, then back up to San Quintin for two days. we only have friday,saturday Sunday and monday. we leave late Thursday night from LA so that we nget to Ensenada by sun-up dont like driving south of Ensenada while still dark. then straight through to Guerrero Negro. last year we got there at around 2:00pm and got on the last boat of the day with only 4 people on it we had a whale at our boat for so long that we got back in a little late. It woulnd leave or get far enough away for the boat for the captian to put the motor in gear. we finelywere able to get away while it was circling around for another round of petting.
[img]http://www.msnusers.com/dandplumbing@msn.com/Documents/Pictures%2Fwhales%20018.jpg[/img]
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 2-10-2005 at 06:04 PM
Campo de Ballenas

BajaJudy,
How long did it take to drive in from the hwy? Is the road is good shape..it like about 15miles in to the camp?
We are going to be there Mar 4th for two days.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2005 at 10:50 AM

The road was in good shape;parts freshly graded. There are no showers and only pit toilets. There is a restaurant but we didnt eat there. I would think that 2 days would be sufficient.
Yes I have photos and will post them when we get back home.
I forgot to mention that at the last census there were 1107 whales in the lagoon. A record for this time of year they say.
There is a great grocery store in Guerrero called Tianguis. They have the best Jack cheese I have ever tasted. Fresh produce, we got 4 chicken breasts for 31 pesos.

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2005 at 08:34 AM

Oh it took 45 minutes from Guerrero Negro to the campground.

LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2005 at 02:34 PM
Judy Thanks fpr the update

We are going to be in town Mar 4th, and I want to drive out to bay for some "late" afternoon photography of the whales/ water.
We were down two years ago, and they they had over 1200 whales in mid Mar at that time:bounce:
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2005 at 06:39 PM

You must mean something like this

Frigatebird
Nomad

Mood: Soaring

[*] posted on 2-12-2005 at 07:17 PM
GPS Coordinates for the Camp?

Anyone have these? I'm trying to locate the site on a sat photo. Thanks.

Avatar courtesy of Herb :tumble:
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 2-12-2005 at 08:27 PM

Will this help?

tokyofro

biggrin.gif posted on 2-25-2005 at 10:03 PM
MANY ... THANKS GREAT INFO

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.