Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: traveling down with quad
volcano
Nomad

Mood: always pining to be there

[*] posted on 11-17-2016 at 11:52 AM
traveling down with quad

another trip question.....bringing a new quad down..first time owning one..carrying it in the back of the truck....don't want to tow. Best forms of security that have worked for you?
We have thought of chains, building a plywood box around it...was trying to find a used canopy that it would fit under but have not found one.....suggestions por favor?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-17-2016 at 12:39 PM

just get a "tail-gate lock"

if they cant open the tailgate they cant roll the thing out...and...no one will be able to lift it out...too heavy

about $50usa

lock.jpg - 22kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2016 at 12:51 PM

I've hauled one down in a trailer and ran a chain through the quad frame then around the trailer tongue frame and slept OK at night. Yes, a bolt cutter could free it easy enough but anyone with a bolt cutter could also dismantle a plywood box or force open a canopy. Maybe put a motion sensor alarm on it to make a lot of noise if someone tries to make off with it.
ljprusko
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2016 at 01:20 PM

Similar to what bkbend mentioned (motion sensor), if you have a disk brake on your quad you could install a Xena brake disk alarm/motion sensor on it. Have one on my Harley and love it. Locks onto your disk brake so no one can rotate your tire, and sets off a loud motion sensor alarm if someone touches your quad. Costs just under $100 online.
Lengua
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2016 at 09:02 PM

Secure and lock like Bob and Susan said. Me , I d add a spot trace to the equipment. I do it with everything that gets hauled to baja. If you're thinking about it now then go the extra step and build it in to your budget. A lot of the guys inLos Barilles And other areas where they leave their boat on the pick utilize this tracking system.

Don't forget " the haves and have not rule "

Lock it up !!!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2016 at 12:07 AM

Loaded my dirt bikes up for a trip to San Carlos yesterday. Then drove to Best Buy in Canoga Park and went in for 20mins.

Some mfer stole my kid's dirt bike. Can't believe it. Have hauled it all over for years w/o incident.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2016 at 08:31 AM

Use a tracker. If they do steal it you can find it. MAYBE the police will get it back for you.
RBoffroad

[*] posted on 11-18-2016 at 06:29 PM

We trailered down 7 quads from Canada to Baja for a big ride last year. Hid our Delorme Inreach in on of the units for trailering and at night. Delorme is similar to Spot and gives a GPS position report every 10 minutes. Also invaluable to have in the Baja where there is limited cell service. Allows two way texting anywhere on earth. Had no problems by the way.
volcano
Nomad

Mood: always pining to be there

[*] posted on 11-19-2016 at 09:45 AM

went to order a xena disc brake lock from a motorsport co. and they said it would not fit a quad...true/not true?

thanks for the great ideas folks
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-19-2016 at 10:42 AM

if you are really worried about theft...
get replacement insurance for the time you are in baja...

then you get a new one if it taken

if your atv is financed you may already have this insurance...

i'd call my insurance company and get a quote...might not be too bad

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
ljprusko
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2016 at 01:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
if you are really worried about theft...
get replacement insurance for the time you are in baja...

then you get a new one if it taken

if your atv is financed you may already have this insurance...

i'd call my insurance company and get a quote...might not be too bad

Depends on your quad. You may be able to lock it onto your rear spocket or a disck brake if your quad has one, which would prevent someone from physically moving your quad and provide a loud alarm. I guess you'd have to go on the internet and look at some pics of a Xena alarm or Youtube it then determine if you could lock it on your quad.

[Edited on 11-19-2016 by ljprusko]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.