BajaNomad

Overland for Baja: 8 days of travel between the Pacific Ocean and Sea of Cortez en route to Loreto

Whale-ista - 5-3-2019 at 08:05 PM

A professional outfitter's trip report:

https://expeditionportal.com/overland-for-baja/

[Edited on 5-4-2019 by Whale-ista]

advrider - 5-5-2019 at 06:35 PM

Good read, not my style but good info...

geoffff - 5-6-2019 at 11:51 AM

OK, I'm kind of disappointed in myself here, but I'm having trouble recognizing where this beach is they camped at. Who recognizes this place...?

-- Geoff

geoffff - 5-6-2019 at 11:53 AM

Oh! I just figured it out...

I'll still let you all play with it :)

-- Geoff

4x4abc - 5-6-2019 at 12:38 PM

Puerto Almeja on some old maps

David K - 5-6-2019 at 05:25 PM

Which old maps?

geoffff - 5-6-2019 at 07:14 PM

Of course DavidK pipes up when someone says, "old maps" :)

The INEGI maps and Baja Almanac both call it Ensenada Puerto Almeja.

-- Geoff

David K - 5-6-2019 at 07:39 PM

Oh, well those are not "old"! LOL

HeyMulegeScott - 5-16-2019 at 01:54 PM

This site is calling it Caleta Almeja?https://www.theoutbound.com/mexico/camping/camp-at-caleta-almeja

Looks beautiful regardless of the name. Will have to check it out next year in our Jeep.

Estrella II - 3-10-2022 at 02:33 PM

We tried to make our way to this spot using his directions-had a great ride through some beautiful and unusual landscape and ended up at the friendly San Juanico village. We tried another turn and ended up at a closed gate that said Private Property. Obviously we had missed a turn off to the South after studying the new maps and the satellite maps. A very nice man there said we needed to go to Punta San Basilio but the new map says that road has a locked gate? Any new observations or advice?

San Basilio directions, to the 'isolated' north beach:

David K - 3-10-2022 at 04:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Estrella II  
We tried to make our way to this spot using his directions-had a great ride through some beautiful and unusual landscape and ended up at the friendly San Juanico village. We tried another turn and ended up at a closed gate that said Private Property. Obviously we had missed a turn off to the South after studying the new maps and the satellite maps. A very nice man there said we needed to go to Punta San Basilio but the new map says that road has a locked gate? Any new observations or advice?

You use the San Juanico road at Km. 48.5.

Drive 6.8 miles to a fork (left to San Juanico in 2.4 miles).

Take the right fork, in a mile there is another fork, go right (left ends at a well).

8.3 miles from Hwy. 1 you join the private road that came from a locked gate to Hwy. 1 at Km. 40.

10.3 miles is a cattle guard and a fork. A security guard may check you into the property. Beach camping at San Basilio is just to the right, or to the cove of the photo to the left (0.6 mi.). The road continues up from the beach to a private home area.

Sand beach, looking to the right.

Rocky beach to the left.

Several people were camping at San Basilio but nobody just over the hill to the left. Why? The wind! In February, the north wind blows hard!

Here is the calm, wind protected beach of San Basilio, a mile drive south:

[Edited on 3-10-2022 by David K]

Estrella II - 3-10-2022 at 05:20 PM

Hi there! Just checked my mileage notes and they correspond to our exploration. We went to the village. Then backtracked to the fork where there was a fence gate proclaiming it was private property with the phone number of someone to call, it was not locked. I am sure this is the road you are describing. I was not sure about driving through this person’s property when we were not sure where we were at that point!

David K - 3-10-2022 at 09:10 PM

The typical rule is unlocked gates are ok to go through if you keep them closed. Cattle control typically.

AKgringo - 3-11-2022 at 08:15 AM

I came upon a closed, but not locked gate on my last trip that had a sign in Spanish, and English, that instructed travelers to "SHUT THE DOOR"!

geoffff - 3-11-2022 at 09:33 AM

Thanks for the confirmation of how to treat gates!

North Beach at San Basilio is very nice, but can be windy.