BajaNomad

Views....

Tucker - 4-1-2005 at 07:54 AM

The number of "views" generated by a topic seems to be a point of pride by some authors. I think in many cases these might be artificially inflated. I see no real purpose for this statistic and suggest that this column be suppressed.

Bruce R Leech - 4-1-2005 at 08:08 AM

Can you please tell us what you are talking about????

Bob and Susan - 4-1-2005 at 09:30 AM

Tucker....if you just had that PARTY!!:lol::lol:

Bruce R Leech - 4-1-2005 at 09:47 AM

Tucker you are the only one I have ever herd that counts the number of views a post gets for me it is far more important how many replies a post gets but this also is not that important to me . when I make a post it is because I have something to say that I want to share with other nomads. sum people generate more interest than others in there writings. such as randymac and David K and yes Jrbaja. every one complains about Jr. but every one reads his posts. because they Know it is not going to be boring. all he has to do is post a empty thread and he will git more hits than anyone else.

You missed the point Bruce!

Tucker - 4-1-2005 at 09:56 AM

Bruce R Leech - 4-1-2005 at 10:02 AM

I Probably did that is why I asked you to explain to me what you were talking about in this thread. I don't think it is vary clear.

Bruce, look at the "today's posts" page.

Tucker - 4-1-2005 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tucker
The number of "views" generated by a topic seems to be a point of pride by some authors. I think in many cases these might be artificially inflated. I see no real purpose for this statistic and suggest that this column be suppressed.

[Edited on 4-1-2005 by Tucker]

Tucker - 4-1-2005 at 10:16 AM

Quote:
" I think in many cases these might be artificially inflated."

Someone is incredibly childish out there, bumping up the views more than 50 in a few minutes with not many people online.

Bruce R Leech - 4-1-2005 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:

which column shuld be suppressed? and why? and why do you think they are artificially inflated? and inflated with what? and if they are why is that a problem?

[Edited on 4-1-2005 by Bruce R Leech]

Bruce....the "views" column

Tucker - 4-1-2005 at 10:26 AM

Look at what has transpired on this thread in the last few minutes. I sure wasn't me bumping the numbers up!

Bruce R Leech - 4-1-2005 at 10:36 AM

do you mean you want this thread to be deleted.? if you could answer some of the questions I asked it would make it clear what you are getting at . I don't understand what your objection is to getting a lot of views on your thread . Even if some one is playing games . that only means you have an admirer some where.

JR says ...........

MrBillM - 4-1-2005 at 10:40 AM

While JR says "who cares" regarding this subject, on another post he indicates a value judgement based upon the number of postings, to wit:

Quote:
any of the new "junior nomads" to understand that!
I'm sorry!
Where did all these newbies come from anyways? Let me guess, friends of humphreville from BOLA

---------------------------------------------------------------

No consistency, but no surprise.

Curioser and

jrbaja - 4-1-2005 at 11:44 AM

curioser? Now what's the problem willy:?:

Just Plain Old Bill

MrBillM - 4-1-2005 at 01:17 PM

curiouser and curiouser ? It is appropriate that your frame of reference is "beyond the looking glass". Do you speak often with Alice ?

If Willie is good enough for the Redhaired Stranger, it's good enough for me.

Diver - 4-1-2005 at 01:18 PM

Tucker,

I don't get it either; or maybe I do.

So the page shows the number of views; so someone may (for some unknown reason) inflate these number; so what ?

Is there a prize for the most views on a post ? Maybe a free Nomad membership ?

I don't look at the "views" when I check the board. I check for new posts and any new replies to posts I am interested in. (damn preposition)

I guess maybe I don't get it.
To each his own........thanks for your "views" !

A great roar signifying Nothing

MrBillM - 4-1-2005 at 01:29 PM

But, let's keep it. It has meaning to JR and he appears to need meaning in his life.

As a sidenote, I was reminded of a friend of mine in Gonzaga Bay who travelled down the paved road to San Felipe just after it was finished in 1947. He has travelled all over Baja and mainland Mexico and sold his business to retire in Gonzaga in the 60s. He speaks fluent Spanish (albeit with an Okie accent) and has friends all over Baja.
However, here he would be an unknowing "Newbie" because he may go to his death never having used a Computer.

BajaNomad - 4-1-2005 at 01:34 PM

What Tucker is saying is that if you go into a forum, or to "today's posts" page, you'll see how many replies each thread has, as well as how many times the thread has been viewed by visitors.

He's also saying that some people reload/refresh the page over and over to falsely inflate the amount of true "views" the thread has - so that what is reported makes the thread look more attractive.... and the final point being... "what's the point."

Interesting. My first reaction was, no I like it, but I'm pondering it more and more... as the significance may be nil.

I'll keep your suggestion under consideration. I'm working on some other stuff for the board right now.

Maybe some others (for a good cross-section sampling) can chime in on this with their viewpoint as well.

--
Doug

my vote...

woody with a view - 4-1-2005 at 01:47 PM

i don't care about the views, unless something is blocking them...:lol:

tally mine in the "get rid of it" column.

Sometimes I'm S-L-O-W

MrBillM - 4-1-2005 at 01:54 PM

OK, I get it now.

When I first (mis)read the thread, I was thinking in terms of number of Posts, not views since that has been an infrequent topic of conversation.

It is sort of funny that someone (you know who you are) would artificially inflate the number of views. Those people really DON'T have a life.

Natalie Ann - 4-1-2005 at 02:01 PM

Number of views per thread.... has always seemed to me to be a sort of male based "mine's bigger than yours" tally. I sure won't miss it.

Another vote for giving it up.

Debra - 4-1-2005 at 02:23 PM

:lol::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NAT.! I LUV YA!

In the "who cares department"

jrbaja - 4-1-2005 at 03:17 PM

Wouldn't lawn bowling be of more interest?:lol::lol::lol:

Neal Johns - 4-1-2005 at 04:26 PM

Natalie Ann - Thank you for sticking up for me.

Wizened Wee Wienee:lol::lol:

Bruce R Leech - 4-1-2005 at 05:56 PM

the only ones that really care are the ones kipping track . if they git there jollies with it let um have it. what deference dose it make.

we finally git a forum that works and every one wants to change it . Leave poor Dug alone let him git some sleep. don't be so picky . oh she gets more views than I . I wish you people would go back to picking on bad spellers or something.:o

It is an interesting stat

JZ - 4-1-2005 at 07:21 PM

It is nice to know that a couple people read your post. Probably gives the average poster a modest amount of incentive to post a message. Otherwise, why write something if you have no idea if anyone read it at all.

If 1 person in 500 takes it as an ego thing or plays games I wouldn't let that impact anything.

Bruce R Leech - 4-1-2005 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ
It is nice to know that a couple people read your post. Probably gives the average poster a modest amount of incentive to post a message. Otherwise, why write something if you have no idea if anyone read it at all.

If 1 person in 500 takes it as an ego thing or plays games I wouldn't let that impact anything.

I agree . but some people just don't like that some one they don't like gets more reads than anyone else.

[Edited on 4-2-2005 by Bruce R Leech]

Natalie Ann - 4-1-2005 at 07:39 PM

Bruce - My opinion on the views has nothing to do with who I "lick" or do not "lick".;)

**Edited addition: Bruce - I was just funin' ya.... but to change your post after the fact just to make me look dumb :no:
Thank for trying but I can look dumb on my own without your help. Play fair!

[Edited on 4-2-2005 by Natalie Ann]

Bruce R Leech - 4-1-2005 at 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann
Bruce - My opinion on the views has nothing to do with who I "lick" or do not "lick".;)

same for me

views

comitan - 4-1-2005 at 07:51 PM

No views, not important, let the subject be your guide.

Packoderm - 4-1-2005 at 09:58 PM

I'm not sure if having a bunch of views is something to be proud of - especially if there are no replies.

Ten minute worth of Lawn Bowling

Tucker - 4-2-2005 at 11:07 AM

http://www.forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=5968&page...

If nothing else Braulio

you were the 1, 822 viewer on the subject. Get it ?

[Edited on 10/12/2004 by jrbaja]

http://www.forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=7395

Speaking of "Overboard" and "Postal"

This thread was addressed to Gypsy Jan inquiring about a u2u message.
14 replies and 396 views?
I seem to have misplaced the actual subject of this thread. But, here I am anyways

http://www.forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=7549&page...

553 views, and 28 replies since 8:44 this morning
Get a life

[Edited on 4-2-2005 by Tucker]

Bruce R Leech - 4-2-2005 at 11:31 AM

Tucker who cares? stop counting you are going to drive your self crazy. Relax and enjoy life. have a Beer and send me the Bill.

Views, posts, etc

Juan - 4-2-2005 at 12:06 PM

Doug, I don't care what you do about people viewing or responding to the posts. Please just keep on doing what you do. I am thankful for the Nomad forum and do not really see a need for change.

When I read the forums I am aware of the fact that others are responding but it has never botherd me. Doubt if it ever will.

Good luck on whatever you decide. Juan

Guess I'm caught being pulled into

Debra - 4-2-2005 at 12:17 PM

Think I'll go click some ads......

Thanks Doug for putting up with our silliness.

'you have more than I do'....blah, blah, blah.......:(