BajaNomad

Interactive Map of Baja Photographs (over1,600)

David K - 10-15-2022 at 06:00 AM

With the success of creating an interactive map showing where my Baja Bound articles are...

We have perfected a way to show where photos were taken! This allows one to 'see' what was there (just a little bit of what was there).
So far, I have uploaded photos from 2015-2018.
When you zoom in closer, more photo icons appear as I may have more than one at an interesting place!

When I get back to work on it, I will add our 2022 trip to Mission Santa María and the other places TW and I saw. After that I will go back to trips before 2015. That should fill in more areas and give Baja a fair look-over!

In placing the camera icons, I tried to put it excactlty where I took the photo or the object I was shooting, or close. Photos taken showing the roads are hard to be precise, but I did spend time trying to be close as possible!

Here is the new photo-map link:
https://vivabaja.com/explore/baja-photos-map/

Remember, I am not finished! If you touch an icon and no photo shows, please let me know approximately where so I can fix it.

Here is the map image 10-16-22, before you zoom in (using the link above):

The actual interactive map is here, on VivaBaja: https://vivabaja.com/explore/baja-photos-map/

EDIT: Map updated Saturday morning.

Photos Map 11-5.jpg - 235kB

[Edited on 11-5-2022 by David K]

Map

ch47pilot - 10-15-2022 at 06:14 AM

David, I don't post often but I feel that I have to compliment you on the work you put in to make our Baja travels more enjoyable. Those of us who travel up and down the peninsula appreciate it.

BajaMama - 10-15-2022 at 07:19 AM

AWESOME DAVID!

pjpvi - 10-15-2022 at 08:46 AM

This is great however I do not see the photo icons. The map comes up with only the Baja Bound article icons. Maybe I need to clear out a cache??

David K - 10-15-2022 at 09:30 AM

Wow... that will teach me to get up so early!!
I accidentally posted the articles map link, all three times!!
It is fixed now... Nomads, who looked earlier... look again, a totally different map-photo experience...
The photo map link is posted twice, before and after the map image, above.
The link is on VivaBaja and again,
HERE: https://vivabaja.com/explore/baja-photos-map/

[Edited on 10-15-2022 by David K]

pjpvi - 10-15-2022 at 09:54 AM

That's better! Great work.

4x4abc - 10-15-2022 at 08:56 PM

why are the images so tiny?
Google Earth gives me full screen images

David K - 10-15-2022 at 09:24 PM

On a smart phone, just spread the image as big as you like. On a desktop, just click on the image. :light:

[Edited on 11-5-2022 by David K]

PaulW - 10-16-2022 at 09:21 AM

DK, Keep up the great work

The Wonderer - 10-18-2022 at 12:58 PM

Nicely done!

John Harper - 10-18-2022 at 01:36 PM

Nice work, DK!

John

Interactive Baja-Photos Map Update

David K - 10-28-2022 at 05:20 PM

Moving along nicely with the photo adds to the map.
Down to the 2009 trips, plus I added some from 2005 when Baja Angel and I did a loop drive out from El Rosario and back, going east to Km. 103+ then north past Rancho Los Martires to the San Quintin-El Rosarito/ La Suerte high road. Then west on that road to Hwy. 1 at El Socorro. Great vistas on that road, great boojums, crested cardon cactus, and discovering that petroglyph site when we stopped for lunch was huge! I named it Petroglyph Park... https://vivabaja.com/explore/baja-photos-map/

When you go to the online map and zoom in, many many more camera icons appear at places that I found interesting...
Here is a screen save of the map zoomed way out to all fit here:

Baja Photos Map.jpg - 244kB

geoffff - 10-30-2022 at 04:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
why are the images so tiny?
Google Earth gives me full screen images

OK, new feature today! If you click on photos they will now enlarge. You will have to fully reload the map web page before you can get access to this new feature:

-- Geoff

David K - 10-31-2022 at 10:04 AM

Thanks Geoff!
This morning I added more photos going back to 2005 trips, where I will stop... with maybe a few exceptions.
I will also go back to my 2017 photos and add more of the campos north of Bahía de los Angeles (town) to La Gringa.
The photos that are from around 15 years ago include a note on their date. They are included to offer a before and after look, where I have newer photos at.

[Edited on 10-31-2022 by David K]

David K - 11-5-2022 at 02:53 PM

OK... I think I have uploaded most of what I planned to... made a few repairs for camera icons that didn't become a photo, mostly because I didn't load one there or some other goof up!

IF you find an icon that doesn't open to a photo, let me know! The general area of Baja is fine, what ever town or site is near the bad camera, should work.

Here is the latest image (but go to the link for the actual map you click or move your mouse over). Zoom way in to see more photos of areas you are looking at.

For example, at Mission La Purísima, I have six photos (three are historic and three are mine)... Youn will only see one camera untill you zoom in.

Map link: https://vivabaja.com/explore/baja-photos-map/

Photos Map 11-5.jpg - 235kB