BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Second Edition of the Benchmark Baja Road Atlas is here!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-4-2023 at 08:30 AM
Second Edition of the Benchmark Baja Road Atlas is here!

A surprise indeed, but at the Baja Bound Baja Expo in San Diego, last Saturday (Sept. 30, 2023), Benchmark Map's Luis Borella presented the 2023 Second Edition of the Baja Atlas.

At first glance, you will not see anything different. However, taking some time and knowing what we Baja Nomads have submitted, the edits and additions make a fine list (below)!

Nomads PaulW and geoffff were huge contributors!

After a quick glance and a look at my email exchanges, here is what I could see that is new for 2023 over 2021. Note: there may be others and feel free to add what you discover.

San Felipe Municipality added on multiple pages.

Page 29: Puerto Nuevo [lobster village] (added)

Page 35: More roads around the Sierra Las Pintas added.

Page 36: Cuatro Casas Hostel added.

Page 37: Chenowth Legacy Lodge added. Campos Sahuaro, La Joya, and Delicias added. Natural Arch, Cardón Forest, Ram's Head choke point, and more dirt roads added. Canyons Oso, Toledo, Tulare, and La Providencia added.

Page 39: Campo Los Delfines location corrected. The arroyo road for Mission Santa María added.

Page 39 & 41: Original Coco's Corner added.

Page 41: Road north at Agua Amarga route edited.

Page 47: Kilometer marker points moved by one at southern portion of road to Punta San Francisquito from Bahía de los Angeles.

Page 55: Beach road from San Nicolas toward Punta Pulpito added.

Page 55 & 56: Road south of San Juan to Comondú Viejo edited to show that it doesn't connect the two.

Page 58: Edit on dirt road north of Ciudad Insurgentes to show it does not connect with another road.

That's all I have for now.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2023 at 11:55 AM

Second Pressing is of the first edition. Baja Bound ordered a supply of them with an advertisement page added when they learned how huge the demand was shortly after the Atlas was introduced and Benchmark would need to print more. Baja Bound sells the Atlas (first edition/ second pressing) for $20 + shipping.

To get the 2023 Second Edition, that I described, with your (PaulW) many edit suggestions made, order from Benchmark directly: https://www.benchmarkmaps.com/product/baja-california-road-r...

Edit: This was a reply to a (now removed post from a) Nomad who mentioned the Baja Bound special price ($20) deal for the "second pressing" of the Atlas. The second pressing (or what most call a second printing) was just more of the first edition (so many were ordered, it depleted the first printing far sooner than Benchmark had ever experienced before!

The amount of updates, as you can see by the list, may not warrant passing up on the Baja Bound discounted Atlas. Thanks to PaulW, the area that received the most additions was the San Felipe-Valle Chico region. If you are an avid off-roader in that area, maybe the 2023 second edition is worthy of buying if you already have the 2021 first edition.

Since Benchmark is so welcoming of Baja Nomad updates or corrections, please keep them coming for the third edition! You can u2u or email them to me or to Benchmark directly.
>>> Beside me, PaulW and geoffff made edit suggestions. Did any other Nomad make suggested edits??? Please let me know here or u2u, and I will tell you if they made them. <<<

One edit they did not make, and perhaps because there was no answer, was addressing the two Punta Quebrada's shown, off the road to Punta Eugenia from Bahía Tortugas. Another edit that maybe was suggested too late, was to add San Andrés, an abandoned gold mine north of San Roque/ Bahía Asunción. Get bajaric's new book 'The Gold of Northern Baja' by Jens Tobias, to learn more about that region and the rest his book includes.

[Edited on 10-21-2023 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2023 at 05:31 PM

Thanks Dave!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2023 at 04:53 PM

Sigh--- I sure would like have it now but that in not in the cards. I'm gunna have to wait as traveling is the plan and no way to get the Map with no mailing address.
I will see if I nave get the Avenza 23 version before we leave. Do I have to call them to get the discount?
= = =
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Second Pressing is of the first edition. Baja Bound ordered a supply of them with an advertisement page added when they learned how huge the demand was shortly after the Atlas was introduced and Benchmark would need to print more. Baja Bound sells the Atlas (first edition/ second pressing) for $20 + shipping.

To get the 2023 Second Edition, that I described, with your (PaulW) many edit suggestions made, order from Benchmark directly: https://www.benchmarkmaps.com/product/baja-california-road-r...

Edit: This was a reply to a (now removed post from a) Nomad who mentioned the Baja Bound special price ($20) deal for the "second pressing" of the Atlas. The second pressing (or what most call a second printing) was just more of the first edition (so many were ordered, it depleted the first printing far sooner than Benchmark had ever experienced before!

The amount of updates, as you can see by the list, may not warrant passing up on the Baja Bound discounted Atlas. Thanks to PaulW, the area that received the most additions was the San Felipe-Valle Chico region. If you are an avid off-roader in that area, maybe the 2023 second edition is worthy of buying if you already have the 2021 first edition.

Since Benchmark is so welcoming of Baja Nomad updates or corrections, please keep them coming for the third edition! You can u2u or email them to me or to Benchmark directly.
>>> Beside me, PaulW and geoffff made edit suggestions. Did any other Nomad make suggested edits??? Please let me know here or u2u, and I will tell you if they made them. <<<

One edit they did not make, and perhaps because there was no answer, was addressing the two Punta Quebrada's shown, off the road to Punta Eugenia from Bahía Tortugas. Another edit that maybe was suggested too late, was to add San Andrés, an abandoned gold mine north of San Roque/ Bahía Asunción. Get bajaric's new book 'The Gold of Northern Baja' by Jens Tobias, to learn more about that region and the rest his book includes.

[Edited on 10-21-2023 by David K]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2023 at 05:31 PM

Paul, when you log onto your Avenza App map, the pop up for the 2023 map will be there. It is $9.99.

As for a comp'd copy of the map book,rather than just a discount, from Benchmark, when you have a mailing address, I am sure you deserve it!! I got my second edition from Luis at the Baja Expo.

The three of us in Nomad really helped Benchmark make updates. I wonder if others here submitted any?

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2023 at 10:32 AM

Here is a screen shot for the popup I got and nothing tells me to get the update.
== =

IMG_2530.PNG - 214kB

== =
I need guidance as to what to do. Thanks
=== =
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Paul, when you log onto your Avenza App map, the pop up for the 2023 map will be there. It is $9.99.

As for a comp'd copy of the map book, rather than just a discount, from Benchmark, when you have a mailing address, I am sure you deserve it!! I got my second edition from Luis at the Baja Expo.

The three of us in Nomad really helped Benchmark make updates. I wonder if others here submitted any?

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2023 at 10:48 AM
New Atlas

David wrote

Nomads PaulW and geoffff were huge contributors!
== =
My contributions were two fold.
1) told them of tracks that have disappeared since INIGI and Almanac were published. Not to many.
2) Sent them actual driven GPS tracks loaded into Google Earth. This allows them to copy exact track points into thier database. Lots of tracks.
PW
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2023 at 03:23 PM

The Avenza App is on your phone already, when you click onto it and go to see the Baja Atlas, the option to upload the second edition was there.
By-the-way, you misspelled Cardón... as C a r d e n* Forest. I emailed them with some repairs they need to make to their webpage... Interestingly, they spelled it Cardon in the list of updates made!
*I double spaced it because Nomad auto changed that word to Card## (is it a nasty word?)

I am so pleased that they do most of the edits we suggest to them.

[Edited on 10-23-2023 by David K]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.