BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Storm damage from Norma?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-22-2023 at 08:53 AM
Storm damage from Norma?

I thought it might be useful to start a new thread about conditions after the storm. Hopefully we can keep it on-topic and a brief search for reports from people who still have communication.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2023 at 09:07 AM

Standard road damage, (pack a shovel), here on the East Cape. Sounds like the ocean crossed the road at Las Baracas, not passable at the moment. Very little water flowing in the major arroyos.

Appears La Paz took the brunt.
We dodged a bullet here.
bajarickster
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2023 at 09:08 AM
Norma Storm damage

from a friend in La Paz. as bad or worse than Odile

Still raining, and I have to keep mopping up. Just drove to Aramburo and back via the malecon. It looks like an atom bomb was dropped on La Paz. Trees down everywhere. Unbelievable. Tailhunters entire facade is down. Boats and mourning washed up on malecon. Many business have serious damage and wiped out. The army is patrolling the malecon.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2023 at 09:16 AM

At 1 pm yesterday my daughter in Todos Santos said the power was out, lots of wind and rain, but no damage. At 7pm she said all was well and lots of "lovely rain".
Kind of weird that it made landfall in Todos Santos, but La Paz seems to have taken the brunt of it.

[Edited on 10-22-2023 by surabi]
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2023 at 09:40 AM

Not sure which marina, (looks like one of the newer ones, not Marina La Paz), experienced major damage with total losses on many vessels.

I fear to think of the damage in the barrios against the hills.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-22-2023 at 09:59 AM
Campestre Maranatha? (Chametla, west of La Paz)

I planned to be there sometime in the next few weeks. They are vulnerable to major storms, and their web site and phone are down right now.

Does anybody know how they weathered the storm?

[Edited on 10-22-2023 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2023 at 10:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I planned to be there sometime in the next few weeks. They are vulnerable to major storms, and their web site and phone are down right now.

Does anybody know how they weathered the storm?

[Edited on 10-22-2023 by AKgringo]

Harald is very close, he can likely report a bit later on Maranatha? Saw some pretty bad flood videos across the main route (Abasolo?) just past Walmart on facebook site from yesterday. And this on youtube from yesterday on the Malecon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ2f7NU0wno

[Edited on 10-22-2023 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 10-22-2023 at 03:07 PM

My 2 moto buddies are officially stranded in LaPaz for at least another 24 hours. One of them attempted to leave and only made it a few miles before turning back. They're staying at the south end of the Malecon. Reports are that major flooding washed out a lot of Mex 1 and especially around El Centenario. They did get back power and internet this afternoon and have sent several pics of beached and damaged boats. Yea, it looks like the Cajoncito arroyo has sliced the town in half.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2023 at 03:35 PM

Gringo Gazette confirms that the lion's share of the damage took place in La Paz.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
LaPazGringo
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2023 at 08:36 AM

Guys, any updates on roads being impassable anywhere between La Paz and Loreto? I was going to drive North this morning but am considering waiting until tomorrow if they're still trying to dig out in Centenario.
Bajazly
Super Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 10-23-2023 at 09:07 AM

Go for it, be an adventure and stories for the future.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2023 at 10:02 AM

Here's an interesting Gringo Gazette article about a shipwreck unearthed by Norma.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2023 at 03:34 PM

Loreto is just fine. Sunday had some flooding, big rocks on the malecon, malecon flooded 6" or more. Some power outages for a couple hours, nothing bad
Monday morning back to normal, Lots of sweeping up debris and it looks perfect!
The road south 10mi or so is no problem. didn't go any further.
LaPazGringo
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2023 at 06:08 PM

I'll be driving from Cabo San Lucas to Loreto tomorrow. Will update when I get there.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.