Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Sam Felipe
El Comadante Loco
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2020 at 05:44 PM
Sam Felipe

I posted this today on Facebook, Bajas South Campos.

San Felipe 250

I am a fan of the Score Off Road races. That said I have a serious concern about the health and safety of our South Campos and the residents of San Felipe. As of today there are no know cases Covid19 in San Felipe and we should keep it that way.
The San Felipe 250 will bring thousands of people from all over the US and the world to our community, thus exposing native residents, ex-patriots and visitors alike to possible Covid19 infection.
Score and Roger Norman should present detailed plans regarding how they intend to protect the health of our community and the participants of the race immediately. The race should go on, but Public Health precautions should be enacted to protect the community. We are all at risk.
I know the race brings much needed dinero to the local community but what good is the dinero if someone and their family comes down with the virus....... especially their abuelo or abuelita. Let's be real; most of us are at greater risk because of our age....
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-12-2020 at 06:18 PM

That is a tough one. Stay safe.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
3-12-2020 at 07:29 PM
El Comadante Loco
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2020 at 08:38 PM

The most effective way is to cancel the race but that will not happen. Reduce the crowd at contingencies by limiting it only to racers or move to some distant desert site. Should covid19 come to San Felipe who is far from prepared to deal with this infection it is the local population who will become just another statistic. Why have so many events, conferences including March Madness been canceled if social distancing did not work.
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2020 at 09:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by El Comadante Loco  
The most effective way is to cancel the race but that will not happen. Reduce the crowd at contingencies by limiting it only to racers or move to some distant desert site. Should covid19 come to San Felipe who is far from prepared to deal with this infection it is the local population who will become just another statistic. Why have so many events, conferences including March Madness been canceled if social distancing did not work.

They canceled the events so social distancing CAN work , until the infected are not interacting with the general population the spread of the virus will continue to spread
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-13-2020 at 06:14 AM

The NBA can afford the lost revenue of shutting down for the season. Race promoter in San Felipe probably cannot afford to shut down, runs only a few events each year, and already has spent a good chunk of this years fees....
Shutting down business is hard, it is basically self-immolation: revenue doesn’t come in, money keeps going out....

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2020 at 06:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by El Comadante Loco  

It is easy for schools to cancel, they are not losing revenue. Very few businesses can shut their doors for a month or 2 of vacation for all.... who is going to pay the bills when you lock out your customers?

[Edited on 3-13-2020 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2020 at 07:28 AM
NORRA - the races and Covid

I received this statement yesterday - it is posted on the NORRA site

NORRA Covid-19 (Novel Coronavirus) Statement
AGUA DULCE, CALIF. – In the latest hours after President Trump´s announcement on Europe travel restrictions, NORRA has been getting emails and calls from race teams concerned about the Covid-19 virus. NORRA is taking steps to deal with the situation, but we have no plans to cancel the Mexican 1000; other motorsports events have been postponing or canceling around the world, but they are events with thousands of spectators. That is not the case with NORRA.

NORRA officials have been in close contact with governments, and health officials from Baja, and Baja Sur. As of today, no cases of Covid-19 virus have been confirmed on the Baja Peninsula.

We are being proactive, and will do a few changes in the way we do tech inspection, registration, and the drivers meeting to prevent contact between people as much as possible; no handshakes, no hugs etc. We will have hand sanitizer stations everywhere at the event, and we will do all the events in open air areas; hygiene is the keyword here.
Travel to Baja California is open, and most importantly, travel from Baja California to the USA has not been interrupted by land or air in either direction. Citizens have not been denied, in any form, entry to either country; Mexico or the US.

US citizens in Europe are exempt from the recent travel restrictions and have been directed to specific airports to be screened and tested as they come back to the United States, in the event of a border shut down while our event is in process we would assume the same directions will be followed for US citizens and residents to be allowed back to the US.

CDC and international health organizations around the world have been stating that people should not lose reason or fall into the panic that has been induced. Epidemic fears should not limit trade, travel, or people getting together in a way that will culminate in a global recession.
Bajazly
Super Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 3-13-2020 at 11:03 AM

As of now via a reliable source, the show must go on as far as the 250 is concerned. No tec and drivers meeting on line. Obviously thing are rapidly changing so we will see.

Think I'm gonna go poke around town and see what the city government is planning, they may have different plans for the race even tho it means a butt load of money being lost.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2020 at 12:44 PM

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 3-13-2020 at 02:52 PM

We have no idea who has coronavirus and who doesn't. Young healthy people may not present symptoms. USA has failed to provide widespread testing so the young with the virus are unwittingly spreading it everywhere. We truly have no idea how many people are infected. If your event is mostly US citizens, I could cancel it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2020 at 03:52 PM

All the dust probably kills the airborne virus

Woke!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2020 at 03:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
We have no idea who has coronavirus and who doesn't. Young healthy people may not present symptoms. USA has failed to provide widespread testing so the young with the virus are unwittingly spreading it everywhere.

Blame it on the youth!:lol:

Woke!

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2020 at 04:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

It is easy for schools to cancel, they are not losing revenue.

Au contraire, mon ami.

Most public schools get state funding by daily attendance, that's why the attendance office is on our butts to do it promptly and accurately. No kids, no money. It's probably the same in most all of them.

I'm not exactly sure how the formula works, but I do know attendance equals funding. You're a sharp guy, research the issue and report back if you wish.

John

[Edited on 3-13-2020 by John Harper]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-13-2020 at 05:41 PM

Spring Break comes a month early and will be longer. My granddaughter is now off school until early April.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-13-2020 at 05:51 PM

The NBA can afford the lost revenue of shutting down for the season. Race promoter in San Felipe probably cannot afford to shut down, runs only a few events each year, and already has spent a good chunk of this years fees....
Shutting down business is hard, it is basically self-immolation: revenue doesn’t come in, money keeps going out....

Goat "plays" a jerk on here. But he's actually a pretty smart dude.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-13-2020 at 05:56 PM
It still just goes round the government post

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

Au contraire, mon ami.

Most public schools get state funding by daily attendance, that's why the attendance office is on our butts to do it promptly and accurately. No kids, no money. It's probably the same in most all of them.

I'm not exactly sure how the formula works, but I do know attendance equals funding. You're a sharp guy, research the issue and report back if you wish.

John

I will spare you the French opening
So, the pockets of the schools are a little light, but the pockets of the state are still packed. Watch the state "bail out" the schools after this. And from whence cometh those funds? Right out of we taxpayers' pockets. Round and round it goes, and the state just keeps on coming. (When GovGav promised $50m to save shelter dogs I knew the Apocalyse was soon to be upon us)

Many years ago I worked for an elderly CPA whose favorite saying was.... "No matter how you slice it, it is still all baloney"
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2020 at 07:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Watch the state "bail out" the schools after this. And from whence cometh those funds? Right out of we taxpayers' pockets. Round and round it goes, and the state just keeps on coming.

No one said investing in the future was cheap or easy. There are 49 other states more than welcome to be your new home. You and Kansas seem a good match.

John

[Edited on 3-14-2020 by John Harper]
chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2020 at 07:29 PM

Haven't heard anything about the race but, I gotta figure with todays news confrence, someone will make a bright decision and cancel it. I read where Baja does not have one diagnosed case, as yet
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2020 at 07:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Goat "plays" a jerk on here. But he's actually a pretty smart dude.

Which makes it really puzzling why he seems to find it pleasurable to act like a jerk.

Perhaps he finds it necessary, rather than pleasurable? Sometimes you have to make people uncomfortable to get them to think.

John
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2020 at 09:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

Au contraire, mon ami.

My wife is an accountant for food service in our local school district. They have to provide meals to student even though the schools are closed. Funding from the feds requires it. Meals will available for pickup every day no IDs or money are necessary. This can not not be a money thing it must be a health and safety issue.

John

I will spare you the French opening
So, the pockets of the schools are a little light, but the pockets of the state are still packed. Watch the state "bail out" the schools after this. And from whence cometh those funds? Right out of we taxpayers' pockets. Round and round it goes, and the state just keeps on coming. (When GovGav promised $50m to save shelter dogs I knew the Apocalyse was soon to be upon us)

Many years ago I worked for an elderly CPA whose favorite saying was.... "No matter how you slice it, it is still all baloney"
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.