Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: New US regs to bring dogs back to states
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2024 at 01:23 PM

Regardless of border crossing requirements, anyone who cares about their dog will get them vaxed against rabies and other dog diseases. Dogs can get rabies from contact with other infected animals.

Once when I was in elementary school, us kids couldn't leave at the end of the day, because a rabid dog had somehow gotten into the front doors of the school and was trapped between the outer and inner glass doors. They were waiting for animal control to arrive. I remember standing there with the rest of the kids watching the dog through the doors. It was foaming at the mouth, and throwing itself against the doors. It was horrible.

I once read an account by a human who contracted rabies and miraculously survived. He described feeling as if you are drowning, as the salivary glands go crazy and liquid continually fills your throat and mouth.
cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2024 at 01:46 PM

About seven weeks ago, I was biten by a dog in TJ. I was just walking on the sidewalk back to my hotel in the evening. Dogs often become more aggressive in the evening, and this dog ran out of the car parking lot where it lives, onto the sidewalk and bite me before I even knew it was there. I was greatly relieved to read online of Mexico´s wonderfully succesful effort of vaccinating dogs against rabies throughout the country. However, as a layperson who knows something about rabies, having been bitten by dogs in India, where thousands of people die every year from dog contracted rabies (and where I received post exposure rabies prophylaxis), I still came back in ten days time to see that the dog was alive. It was, which means I could not have been infected with rabies via that particular dog bite (the dog would have been dead within ten days had it been capable of transmitting the rabies virus when it bite me). I also stopped by to see the dog again, at the one month post bite mark. Still alive and healthy. Never been so happy to see a bad dog...

[Edited on 5-12-2024 by cupcake]
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2024 at 05:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
She felt better after confiscating a single hard boiled egg from the cooler.

I think it's good to have some innocuous but nevertheless "verboten" item with you, which you obviously haven't made any attempt to hide, when crossing borders as a sort of decoy to being majorly hassled. Once they find something like a hard boiled egg, an apple, or an open package of sandwich meat, they can confiscate it and feel they've done their job and let you know who's boss.

[Edited on 5-11-2024 by surabi]

That's a tried and true method. Lots of contraband has been overlooked while the inspector is distracted by a piece of fruit.

[Edited on 5-12-2024 by pacificobob]
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Split
5-11-2024 at 10:11 PM
Bajazly
Super Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 5-12-2024 at 09:10 AM

The free speech clause only applies to the government, and it doesn't protect you from being called out and shown the door when applicable.

Back on topic, will most vets down here do a rabies vaccination? Pretty sure mine aren't going to the states ever but might as well get it done.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2024 at 09:48 AM

Yes, as far as I'm aware all vets in Mexico have all the dog shots available including rabies.
And in the US, the rabies shots are good for 5 years, I think, but in Mexico only for 1 year. My vet said it's because it's a different type of rabies shot, but I don't know if that's actually true.

One good thing- vet services are so much less expensive in Mexico than the US,as long as you don't go to vets who cater to tourists and expats
My dog's yearly shots cost about 400 pesos.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-12-2024 at 10:06 AM

Here, the first rabies shot was good for a year, then every three years after that.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2024 at 10:30 AM

Mexican law rabies vax 1 year
USA 3 years
Anti vaxers,?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2024 at 10:51 AM

USA 3 years
Anti vaxers,?

I only allow vaccinations in her left butt cheek. The right cheek remains unspoiled!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2024 at 05:39 PM

USA 3 years
Anti vaxers,?

Yeah, my dog started in on an anti-vax rant (even though I really try to monitor what she reads online) but I told her no treats for a month, so she shut up about it, and relented. :lol:

[Edited on 5-13-2024 by surabi]
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2024 at 07:05 PM

Every time I post here I wonder why the hell did I do that? I was hopeful for an intelligent conversation about the new regs.

With that said, someone mentioned that Mexico is a rabies safe country and therefore not applicable. My read of the regs isn't the same. What I seemed to understand is ALL dogs must have the chip that satisfies the international requirements. And the dogs must have the rabies docs and international travel papers. Is that what you see?
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2024 at 08:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  
Every time I post here I wonder why the hell did I do that? I was hopeful for an intelligent conversation about the new regs.

With that said, someone mentioned that Mexico is a rabies safe country and therefore not applicable. My read of the regs isn't the same. What I seemed to understand is ALL dogs must have the chip that satisfies the international requirements. And the dogs must have the rabies docs and international travel papers. Is that what you see?

If you're looking for definitive and intelligent conversation you might have come to the wrong place.

If US regs call for appropriate paperwork AND chip, then that's the best route to take. Get the chip and do the paperwork.

There might be a lag for these regs to make it to border agents.

Just do it.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2024 at 09:31 AM

From my read, only one of the categories apply here: Mostly*

"Required documents for dogs ((That Departed) the United States and have been only in dog rabies-free or low-risk countries during the 6 months before entry:

Mexico is not on CDC high risk list

https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-...

It looks like for the majority here , the only thing that changes is to have a CDC Dog Import Form receipt

*Mostly - I say this because I imagine the majority here are going from the US to Baja and back and most will have a dog health certificate . If you don't , there are more hoops .

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2024 at 10:03 AM

I apologize for my part in veering off topic, and I agree with Lee that I should know, and comply with the requirements for crossing the border with dogs.

I have done my best over the last thirty years traveling from AK to CA and Baja to get it right, and so far have not had a problem. This is what I have experienced;

Traveling by air, the regulations have always been strictly enforced.
Traveling by car, they have never been strictly enforced.

That includes the Canadian border as well as Mexico.

I find it strange that a few years ago, the requirement for a health certificate ($35 added to exam and medical charges) was eliminated for land crossings, but now they are going to require a micro-chip to scan?

My dogs have been chipped, but are they commonly available in Mexico?

My guess is that it is because a photo ID for a dog is impractical, and they want to make sure the shot records presented are for the dog presented.

I am sure that every airline will have chip scanners, but unless a driver is sent to secondary inspection, there will likely be none at the border agent booth.

[Edited on 5-13-2024 by AKgringo]

surfhat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2024 at 11:03 AM

Doug, it appears a troll is on the warpath again on Baja Nomad. He/she is quite persistent. Let's all hope he/she gets bored and moves on.

Ignoring all the posts is highly recommended, since attention appears to be the motivation.

We do get all kinds, at times. Thanks for keeping Nomad going. I am sure at times it is quite trying.
lencho
Junior Nomad

Mood: Somnoliento

[*] posted on 5-13-2024 at 12:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
If you're looking for definitive and intelligent conversation you might have come to the wrong place.
:light::lol:

The power of the understatement...!

"I can normally tell how intelligent a man is, by how stupid he thinks I am."

"...they were careful of their demeanor that they not be thought to have opinions on what they heard for like most men skilled at their work they were scornful of any least suggestion of knowing anything not learned at first hand."
            Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Be kind, be patient, help others." -- Isabel Allende

"My gas stove identifies as electric." Anonymous

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-13-2024 at 01:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I apologize for my part in veering off topic, and I agree with Lee that I should know, and comply with the requirements for crossing the border with dogs.

I have done my best over the last thirty years traveling from AK to CA and Baja to get it right, and so far have not had a problem. This is what I have experienced;

Traveling by air, the regulations have always been strictly enforced.
Traveling by car, they have never been strictly enforced.

That includes the Canadian border as well as Mexico.

I find it strange that a few years ago, the requirement for a health certificate ($35 added to exam and medical charges) was eliminated for land crossings, but now they are going to require a micro-chip to scan?

My dogs have been chipped, but are they commonly available in Mexico?

My guess is that it is because a photo ID for a dog is impractical, and they want to make sure the shot records presented are for the dog presented.

I am sure that every airline will have chip scanners, but unless a driver is sent to secondary inspection, there will likely be none at the border agent booth.

Here is a good idea: add microchips to the vaccines! Easy peasy to track your dog and at same time verify vaccination status!

We should do that with human vaccines too, many practical applications in governance and enforcement :lol::lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2024 at 06:09 PM

We take our dog back and forth, 6 or 7 times a year, he has had his shots and chiped! When we frist started taking him, my wife had to get him his DOGGY
PASSPORT! It has all his papers, and shot info. inside. After 3 years we have never been asked for any thing! But if they do we should be ready. Goat may have gone a little off topic, but I do agree with him about his border crossing rules! As we to do Sentry, and want to stay in there good graces! FYI she got the doggie passport on Amazon if you should want one.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2024 at 06:55 PM

I will check in to getting one of those passports, it sounds like it would be handy if we wind up flying again. As for the agent at San Luis, she would not even look at the papers I had in my hand.

I was as polite and cooperative as I could be, but it seemed like she was having a bad day and wanted to share it!

stillnbaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2024 at 07:07 PM

from the SD Reader......
Due to Mexico’s sweeping rabies campaign and free vaccination program, they have been officially rabies-free since 2019, and the last two cases of dog-to-human transfer occurred in 2006.

I have travelled across the border dozens of times with my dog – and several fosters to new permanent homes – over the past decade. I have never once been asked for any paperwork, health certificates, or vaccination records. Rabies vaccinations may be required for air travel, cruise ships, and when entering certain states but were not required over the past few years since Mexico was declared rabies-free.

Now new CDC requirements for people traveling with their dogs from Mexico, whether the dog is from the U.S. or Mexico, include a microchip, a CDC form electronically filled out, and applicable vaccinations or health certificates. All information is to be tied to the microchip. The requirements come from a federal bill sponsored in 2020, the Healthy Dog Importation Act, which never got a vote.

The original intent was to control cross-border puppy mills that do so to avoid certain state or federal domestic rules. That bill, however, struck down section 18, which defined ‘importer’ as “any person who, for purposes of resale, transports into the United States puppies from a foreign country”, and resale as “any transfer of ownership or control of an imported dog of less than 6 months of age to another person.”

In the CDC regulations going into effect on August 1, 2024, ‘importer’ now means, “any person bringing a dog into the US, pet, rescue, or otherwise.” There are several sections in the new announcement, including ‘All Dogs’ and ‘Dogs from Low-Risk or Rabies-Free Countries’.

A fuss in veterinary and expat circles has bubbled up. The CDC suggested timeline, for one, begins 60 to 90 days before crossing the border in either direction, and requires signatures and official stamp, photo, and more. The electronic form is not yet available and won’t be until July 15, and as expats or tourists (including me) get our dogs vaccinated in Mexico where we spend most of our time, it will require dealing with a sluggish bureaucracy to get the required ‘official government veterinarian’ stamp.

Rescue operations are inundated with dogs on both sides of the border. The new regulations will severely hobble rescue efforts, according to insiders. Per Gabriella Stupakoff Morrison at Mulege Animal Rescue, “For the record, we are all for the CDC changing its laws since that hasn’t happened since the 50s. And we don’t disagree that a dog should be healthy before being admitted into the US. But the rest is overreaching, unnecessary (punitive even), and will place a sizable burden on our small organizations.”

Vets in the U.S. weren’t even notified. I was in a back-and-forth with Rebecca Lemmon, a vet who had no clue of the policy before it’s release. She said that there is quite an uproar on the Veterinary Information Network. “Lots of frustrated people. And I mean, we just found out this week so over the next month or two it’ll get noisier. Especially when people start figuring out what they have to do with their dog.” At this point, the new regs are staggering to many, and if anyone is planning travel to Baja with their dog and return on or after August 1, they better read up on the new regs and follow them to a T, because as per the CDC, they will be turned back at the border.

Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2024 at 09:28 AM

Hey Stillinbaja! Outstanding response! That is exactly the information I was looking for. I'm going north for my bro's wedding August 10 so this is an issue for me. One dog chipped 12 years ago. One no chip. Do you know if chips from 12 years ago even include the rabies information the CDC is looking for? Actually that is a stupid question because obviously they wouldn't include any data other than what was entered in the database at that time. Thank you so much and I look forward to your updates about this issue.

[Edited on 5-14-2024 by Doug/Vamonos]
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.