Author: Subject: Baja cactus
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
I, too, dislike relinquishing my identification due to possible security issues,
but I really disliked when my room was inspected.

With my ID in his hand and without a word the man just walked out the lobby door.
Believe you me, I followed him like a dog on a hunt.

When we arrived at my vacated room I followed the fellow up there to monitor his actions.
He checked that I had not stolen the bed sheets, towels and was especially concerned that all four pillows were there and I'd not switched them out with inferior quality ones.

We then went back down to the lobby and he handed back my passport.
This does not sit well with me and is the only thing I can fault Baja Cactus.

don't blame the hotel management, they are just trying to stay in business and have no way of knowing you are honest abe.
it's just a roadside motel fro travelers that rarely stay more than 8 hours,... it's sort of a truck-stop motel,... concern with theft is reasonable. they probably have good reason to inspect, school of hard knocks, and all that.

No worries, as I don't lift hotel things.
My significant concern and objection was someone taking my identification papers out from the hotel desk and leaving through the front door. That's not on!

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 10:24 AM
license or passport

no one in this world is going to take my papers and hold them.........................sheeple !!!!:rolleyes:
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
It's true, the desk holds your DL until the room is inspected when checking out.

Can anyone confirm if they do this if you use your BajaNomad card? That would be new news. Used to not hold the DL if you had your BN card.

Thx.

Stayed there two nights ago and they keep the BN card but do not even ask for a driver's license. They have not inspected the room in the morning for about a year in my experience, just give them the remote and key and they give back the card and off you go.

Thank you for the reply on this.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Lee
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 11:55 AM

Tourista Motel: don't know if the motel has fallen in quality. The one time I stayed there it didn't feel like it had quality at all. Now, a firm, new mattress is definitely quality. Overall, the room was lacking. Maybe a first impression isn't fair here. Maybe I'm comparing it to the feel of Baja Cactus which, to me, is quality and the standard I hold motels to -- that is, where I'm willing to stay. I'll do another look/see next time through. Maybe I got an ''odd'' room?
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 02:44 PM
So how do you like sleeping in the car?

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
no one in this world is going to take my papers and hold them.........................sheeple !!!!:rolleyes:

Many places in Europe that is the law,
you hand over the passport or you do not get a room.
I share your uneasy sense about that system...
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 03:36 PM

the un-traveled...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 05:09 PM

I do not mind the id thing. It makes me think that the place is being careful. I often stay there and have no complaints.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 06:08 PM

But are they being careful with your identification?
To me, that's the question.

I don't like relinquishing my identification to anyone for any reason. Relinquishing it to a police officer or using it to identify myself is one thing. Securing a room at Hotel Baja Cactus is another; I don't like the policy, but I accept it and comply when I stay there.

I do have issues of security of my identification-- legitimate, I believe-- when a hotel employee takes my ID out of the hotel safe-- let's assume it was in a locked safe-- and wanders around the grounds with it in hand. My confidence in said hotel has been breached. I object to that.

Politely ask me to wait a moment and go search my vacated room,
but leave my identification papers in the hotel office.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 06:16 PM

Again, when Antonio ('BajaCactus') was posting regularly here, he said that if you identified yourself as a Baja Nomad (printing the card is best way) the ID deposit is waved... Print the Nomad ID card, get a 10% discount and leave that card with them, as others have.

European tourists are used to leaving their passports with the front desk... it is standard procedure when staying in Europe... we did back in '85 when I toured Europe (overnight-ed in Greece, Italy, Switzerland, West Germany, France, U.K).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 06:53 PM

How does one print a BN card - I did it once but don't seem to remember how. Jim
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 06:53 PM

Last time in europe, we had to show our passports but they just wrote down our numbers and returned them. Lately at some rather upscale hotels in the u.s. we have had to secure our rooms with a refunable fee that was handled at check out. Next time at baja cactus i will try using my bajanomad id.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
How would a nomad get a card???

http://www.bajanomad.com/club/card.htm

Just click. Enter your name. Then print.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegejim
How does one print a BN card - I did it once but don't seem to remember how. Jim

Doug posted the link in this thread, last night... here it is again:
http://www.bajanomad.com/club/card.htm

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2012 at 09:24 AM

Yes, big thumbs up for Baja Cactus, but not the only game in town (if you're discounting Tourista Motel). Baja's Best has a few rooms - spacious, with a grassy yard with a view, enclosed parking and adjacent restaurant. Food is great, rooms very comfortable. Located at the other end of town.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 04:33 AM

All the rooms have internet connectivity through ethernet. Bring your ethernet cable or ask for one at the front desk. The speed is too slow to watch a youtube video at 360 but definitely fast enough for most browsing.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

The Baja Nomad direct phone line using a U.S. phone number is 619-694-1082

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 07:33 PM

We had trouble with heating on our way north. With the heater full on we couldn't get the temp above 65, no matter how long it ran. I ended bringing up my sleeping bag for warmth. That was in one of the new rooms

The problem may be those vaulted ceilings , which require a lot more heat to maintain a high temp.

The showers felt luxuriously warm and abundant by bajas standards.

I have no problem leaving my DL at the desk.

Marla Daily
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2013 at 07:57 AM

Friday night (January 5) at Baja Cactus we presented our Baja Nomad card and paid for our room. BUT I had to return to the desk with a driver's license so it could be copied!!!! Why do they "need" to make a copy of identification? The woman at the desk said this was at the owner's instructions. She didn't want to get into trouble for disobeying his rules.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 1-6-2013 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:

David,
Didn't you mean The Baja Cactus direct phone line?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2013 at 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Quote:
Quote:

David,
Didn't you mean The Baja Cactus direct phone line?

Well, since non Baja Nomads can use it too, okay!:light:
When I originally posted it, I wanted to convey sort of an exclusivity to that number for us Nomads (since Antonio hasn't put it on his web site).

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.