BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  21
Author: Subject: UPDATE -***FULL CIRCLE - CHIEF RESIDENT OPERATES ON UNCLE ALEX - The Little Girl Who Woluld Become a Brain Surgeon (Chapter 4...
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 03:19 PM

glad to give to causes, but why doesn't Emilia sell her sailboat?

Quote:
Originally posted by akmaxx
Emilia is also an accomplished sailor, regularly taking her small sailboat out around the Sea of Cortez.

One day Emy came to me with a small problem. "Maxx, my lead keel has fallen off and I can't go sailing" or words to that effect. I wondered what I could do about it and asked where she had lost it. "Oh, I think it is in the river by the dock, near the lighthouse."

"Fair enough" says I and went to fetch my snorkel and fins (anything to help a damsel in distress). While I muddled around in the mud of the Rio Santa Rosalia in Mulege, searching for the 150 pd keel, I cut my leg on some steel that had been tossed down river by one of the many floods. I didn't think too much of it that day, as I was more focused on retrieving the keel, but came to think about it a lot when the swelling started.

My calf blew up by half and my knee started to resemble one of those really tasty grape-fruits grown by the Valle family. I was a little worried and asked Emy to walk me through the process at the hospital. She zipped me in and out in minutes and I wasn't too worried until I saw her picking up the medicine. Are you familiar with intra-muscular needles? I wasn't and definitely was not looking forward to a 4 inch needle sticking me everyday for a week.

Emy took it all in stride (at seventeen!) and appeared at my house the same time each day to bury the spike in my cheek. Though I was uncomfortable, she made me laugh and told me how injections were old-hat to her but she appreciated the practice. A doctor that can make you laugh and is easy on the eyes is a precious commodity.

In the end (ha-ha) the swelling in my leg went down and now I have an interesting scar that reminds me of la doctora every time I look at it.

Remember the time you helped the kid from Mulege get to medical school by sending a little cash? I thought so.

Good on all of you for your good deeds.

Peace.

[Edited on 7-24-2010 by akmaxx]
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 03:38 PM
Norte - glad you are onboard. I'll look for your Paypal donation asap. Thanks.

Hmmmmm, "keel falling off" would be a clue as to the value of the boat. I am not really sure if it is hers or her fathers or was just abandoned at the pier. Beside the point.

She has used the boat to teach people about the Bay of Concepcion, children how to sail, and used it to get away herself when studying made her nearly go blind.

I vote she gets to keep the sailboat and if I had my way, come to think of it, I would paint it, replace the sails, get her a radio, fix a myriad of things and get her a motor as well for being a good person.

Many thanks Engineer Mike for the glowing references. This is something that needed to be done quickly and I am glad so many people are giving the cause references.

Peace.

[Edited on 7-24-2010 by akmaxx]
BajaKeela
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 08:19 PM

Bajabass..you've made a great suggestion..I would be happy to donate to such a worthy cause every year..At one time my daughter was going to be a Dr. but she ended up being a Ship's Captain.. currently she's the Director of Marine Investigations for Canada.
No telling what Emilia can accomplish given half a chance. I look forward to watching her progress over the years.
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 08:51 PM

I have a feeling that this will be one of the best investments of my life.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 08:53 PM

This is so fantastic !!!! Viva la Emmy. I will send in a small donation and also would love for her to get a facebook account maybe where she could keep us informed about life at med school !! or a blog ....

Please, let's definitely make this a once a year event and that way the La Bocana surf and bike clubs can participate next time too.

Is Emmy related to anyone in La Bocana ?????

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
emrandolph

[*] posted on 7-25-2010 at 06:55 AM

Laughing out loud. . . I have seen the sailboat, and marvelled at the ingenuity of those who made it float. Any buyer would need a goodly suppy of faith, duct tape, and dollars, for openers. . . . Yes to continuing support!
stevelaubly
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2010 at 11:09 AM

Sunday noon: How close are we?
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2010 at 01:03 PM
3,596............Almost there with time to spare

A small storm is wrecking my satellite connection, sorry for the delays.

When Emy first contacted me last week she was only concerned about raising enough money to cover the tuition. I didn't think to add in the expenses of food, housing, getting there, books, etc.

I would consider this fundraiser a success if we attain the goal of $4,000 by next Friday, however if anybody wants to go beyond that for the necessities that is fine by me and, I am sure, Emy.

This is an evolving project, as Engineer Mike has elaborated, and ongoing support is a great idea and will be organized through the friends of the Rotary who have experience in managing such things.

Thanks again for your help so far.

Peace.
adventureheart

[*] posted on 7-25-2010 at 08:53 PM

the work everyone has done is heartwarming! so glad to see the community come together to support an amazing young lady.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2010 at 09:25 AM

Does Emmy have a place to stay already wherever she is going to study ? We could send her school supplies (pens notebooks etc.) and care packages. I am only in the States for another week but would love to send a package along .... the back to school deals here are just excellent.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2010 at 09:28 AM

aother thought - perhaps if we all donate the cash to cover expenses, perhaps a Baja Nomad or BBB pilot can fly her out to Guadalajara ???? Might be more economically feasible then ....

Come visit La Bocana

Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 7-26-2010 at 01:56 PM

I'm in. Good Luck Emmy,k

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2010 at 04:57 PM
3,616 with 4 days left, maybe I spoke too soon. Thanks KM

If anybody would care to forward this thread to people who might know Emy or who find the cause worthy please do so.

I only sent this to those folks on my email list who might like the story, perhaps you know a few people the cause might appeal to?

All in all, I am still very happy that nomads pulled together on this one as a one time investment is going to have 50 years of rewards.

Did I tell you that she has attended baby deliveries of her friends? Or that she has provided first aid to people in car wrecks through the Red Cross? Or that she was first in her class at school? And so on, what more can I do to convince those on the fence?

She'll make it one way or another. Thanks for contributing to our own little "Miracle on 34th Street".

Peace.

P.S. The plane trip to Guadalajara is a good idea. If anybody knows someone heading that way in the beginning of August it would save considerable travel expenses and she won't be carrying as much as you might expect a new college student to.
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2010 at 05:27 PM
Funny thing happened on the way to work this morning

My coworker offered up a donation for Emy and tells me his sister is a brain surgeon in Tennessee. I have worked with this guy for 4 years and never knew his sister was a doctor, much less a neural surgeon. I will quiz him some more and see if she can pass on some tips to Emy for when she begins her specialization.

Just one of those odd six degrees of separation things that I think is really cool.

Peace.

[Edited on 7-27-2010 by akmaxx]
BajaHombre

[*] posted on 7-27-2010 at 09:39 AM

$100 towards the cause.

Time's a-wasting. We should probably get hopping with this to allow for any delays with funds transfers.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2010 at 10:31 AM

Just done via Paypal and it didn't hurt a bit!:tumble:

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2010 at 10:43 AM
3,816 and counting........Thank you BN, SS, PL, and PS

Getting closer everyday.

Hope you have been getting thank you notes from Emilia. If you haven't received a note yet, I take full responsibility for transcribing your name or email incorrectly for Emy to respond to. She has been diligent in politely thanking every supporter, which is an all too rare trait in one so young.

She has been ecstatic over the support coming out of the blue. She is busy planning, packing and singing out praises for her army of known and unknown patrons.

Thanks again and again,

Peace.
BajaHombre

[*] posted on 7-27-2010 at 07:05 PM

Bump
bajario
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2010 at 07:50 PM

$50 mas. Pretty close to 4k.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Your right windgirl,didn't hurt a bit.Neither did voting for your video.

Thanks for your vote and I hope the goal has been met for donations to this special cause.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  21

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.