BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Finally figured out how to attach the avatar...
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 3-18-2004 at 06:27 AM
Finally figured out how to attach the avatar...

I have always wanted to put up my own personalized avatar on this site, but had problems with firewalls and the avatar URL. I joined a Magic thread the other day and was able to upload a small 80 x 80 pixel avatar on their site. I can now use that URL to post an avatar on Bajanomad forum.

For a temporary Avatar character, I did some quick Photoshop editing in about 20 minutes and posted the Baja Canadian guy. Not my original graphics. I just modified some artwork that I had handy tonight. I plan to create my own caricature avatar in a few days. I'm posting the large one for better detail.

Caricature art is a very relaxing hobby. I used to be a caricature artists/sign painter/T-Shirt dude way back in the late 70's before I got into software. Kind of miss drawing caricatures.

Oh !!!! how I could create some fun caricatures of some of the people on this forum.

RandyMac

[Edited on 3-18-2004 by RandyMac]
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 3-18-2004 at 08:13 AM
tell us lost souls....

You must hold the knowledge of the Universe?ol? Holy One! So?can you explain to me just how you got the Avatar character posted? I gave up on trying. Thanks.
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 3-18-2004 at 09:51 AM
yankeeirishman. How to post your avatar.

I sent you an email with some instructions on how to post your avatar onto the Bajanomad site using a cross link URL from another message board.

Hope it works for you.

RandyMac
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 3-18-2004 at 10:18 AM
Some cross linking of avatar Directions for Lost souls

DIRECTIONS FOR BASIC CROSS LINKING OF AN AVATAR FROM ANOTHER MESSAGE BOARD

I'm definitely not so holy. I thought I was a little smarter than the average bear when it came to computers and the Internet, but I didn't really focus on the avatar stuff until last night.

In this case I used the PenguinMagic Discuss boards and their avatar feature in the profile section to cross link the URL to get my avatar to show up on Bajanomad. It would be so much easier if Bajanomad had the same upload avatar feature as the PenguimMagic forum, but I guess that is not possible. Or maybe I'm missing something.

Basic Directions:

You can sign up for and gain a free membership on their Discuss forums. Essentially you are borrowing some image space to cross link an image URL from their server. As a member, you can post or upload your avatar image to the PenguinMagic forum profile section for your profile and then copy the avatar image URL link from that avatar to get the URL data (or path to their forum site) and then you can paste that URL data into the Bajanomad forum profile where it asks for the URL for your avatar. Sounds a little complicated, but it really isn't if I step you through the process.

Basic directions on Penguin and Nomad forums
===========================

Make sure your avatar image is 80 x 80 pixels and no more than 24kb in size. They require this format, so get it ready ahead of time. Make sure it is a jpeg file and give it a name: myavatar.jpeg or whatever name you choose.

1. Log into the PenguinMagic forum site at http://www.penguinmagic.com

2. Sign up as a member and then follow their directions from the email that PenguinMagic will send you. They'll send you your usename and password information.

3. Log back onto PenguinMagic at:
http://www.penguinmagic.com

4. Click on the Discuss button in the top right section of the main menu. the link is:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/

5. At the Discuss page, Log in using your username and the password that PenguinMagic sent you in their email.

6. Click on the Profile link or button text in the right side near the top beside the PenguinMagic born to perform logo. This takes you to your profile, It is very similar to the Bajanomad profile stuff, but it has some extras. It has an Upload Avatar Browse button.

7. When you reach the profile page on PenguinMagic's discuss forum, scroll down to the avatar section at the bottom. Only one image can be displayed at a time, the image width can be no greater than 80 pixels, the height no greater than 80 pixels, and the file size no more than 24 KB.

8. Where it has the Upload Avatar from your machine: this is where you click on the Browse button and post the avatar image file myavatar.jpg or whatever name you gave your avatar that is on your local computer.

9. After you have attached the avatar image from your computer, click the Submit button. You should see the avatar in the Avatar Control Panel in your profile. If so, you need to do the following to get the URL on Penguins site.

10. Click on the avatar image where it says Current Image and you want to open the avatar image in a new browser window. If you get this far, the new browser window will open and the URL will be in the Address: path

This is what my Avatar image URL path looks like:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/images/avatars/819633704...

Yours should be unique to your image. This is the URL data that you need to copy and take back to add to the BajaNomad site in the profile section.

11. Back at the BajaNomad site, log in and edit your profile at the Your Control Panel / Options area link in the top right corner under your name.

12. Click on the Edit Profile button link and then scroll down the page to where it has the Avatar URL: and then paste the URL for your PenguinMagic avatar.

Paste the URL data into the field wher it asks for the Avatar URL:

13. Click Edit Profile at the bottom and your avatar should show up beside your username in your Bajanomad posts. It's essentially cross linking the URL data for the Image. Too bad BajaNomad does have the same feature as PenguinMagic's forums.

Hope this works for you. If you need help, send me a message.

Good luck. And who knows. maybe some of you might learn some magic to have some fun with your friends in the Baja.

RandyMac

[Edited on 3-18-2004 by RandyMac]

[Edited on 3-19-2004 by RandyMac]
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 3-18-2004 at 05:49 PM
hey thanks RandyMac

RandyMac
Thanks for taking all the time to key in that data! Buy ya a soda if we ever meet in Baja :) Going to Puertecitos this Friday noght. I ll follow em great instructions you gave, when I get back. Nice art work BTW
Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 3-20-2004 at 10:33 AM

DUDE you R sooo cool I want one !!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.